• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Examples of cost changes in the hobby

Aqua360

The other day I was discussing with a fellow hobbyist about the rising costs in the hobby (amid everything increasing).

While it's disheartening and makes the hobby even more difficult to access, I was curious about some of the prices differences people have noticed now, vs a few years back.

The example i think of are dennerle nanocubes, i have receipts for these at £25 for a 20l cube, when it's now £48+ (and £15 delivery!) at cheapest.

What's the biggest change you've seen?

The price of plants has definitely shot up, but I guess that's to be expected especially as there's now more red tape on the import!

Actually they’re cheaper, or the same 😅 and some, have increased 😬

Plant pots from tropica have been 5.99 for the standard stuff, (sometimes 5£ for say Rotala) for a long time and for bulbs they were 12£+

Orders from 2015 didn’t go so far 😅

See: Tropica Potted Plants | The Green Machine

Actually they’re cheaper, or the same 😅 and some, have increased 😬

Plant pots from tropica have been 5.99 for the standard stuff, (sometimes 5£ for say Rotala) for a long time and for bulbs they were 12£+

Orders from 2015 didn’t go so far 😅

See: Tropica Potted Plants | The Green Machine
For Tropica pots the price hasn't shifted much, if any at all.

I've noticed it more on potted plants, particularly at my local Maidenhead Aquatics.

Yeah, I’m not convinced the price increase is warranted tbh, but your right - prices of plants in Maidenhead have definitely risen.

It was 9.99 for rotala in one I visited a 6ish months ago.

Fish prices, and coral have gotten a bit inflated too in my LFS.

Haven't bought plants for a few months, but not noticed the price increase.

For me it is the fish prices that have gone up the most, if i take neons as an example, they were around £1 each, now in my LFS it is 6 for £25 so around £4 each, things like standard bettas at £20+ and cull grade shrimp at silly prices.

Can't even think about going back to marine as much as i would love too, i can't justify £50+ for a clownfish and more for some brown mushrooms lol

Not all shops in the area this bad but that is my local.

Definitely the fish prices are sky high, I went to a local Maidenhead a while.back and they had albino cherry barbs for £6.99 each!!!

Given how easily CSs are to breed, the current prices are a bit ridiculous.

When you have some to sell/trade they’ve never bought (from me, at least)

Back