• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Expensive rubbish.

A

Anonymous

Why is it that the products for our beloved hobby are so expensive, yet such poor quality. Ok, not everything is expensive and not all of it is rubbish. But, some stuff we are advised to get or feel we need to have in order to achieve success is. Not only are they rubbish, they are sometimes unnescesary.
Not all of you would agree that some of this stuff isnt needed, thats fine. This is just a list of items I have acquired in order to attain my goals. All of these items either failed or their performance degraded to the extent where they are next to useless.
I will not mention manufacturers or models, but all of the below are branded products of varying cost purchased within the last 2 months. (not ebay purchases)
Currently residing in my sin bin of useless expensive rubbish is:

1 Bubble counter, leaking.
1 Glass lilly pipe outlet. Poor design, blows substrate all around the tank till the bottom is bare.
1 Glass inlet. Poor design, reduces flow excessively.
1 Glass diffuser, An airstone worked better than this. (Now using the UP diffusor, no complaints)
1 Solenoid, Overheated and jammed.
3 metres of co2 hose, splits.
1 Flourescant light unit, sounds like my 37 year old Honda.
1 Water movement device (expensive and highly recomended) Sounds similar to the above.
1 External filter, Like an asthmatic blowing through a straw. (apologies to those with asthma, no offense meant)
Lastly, A co2 regulator and needle valve that was supplied for all uk reffilable cylinders yet turned out to have a cga320 american style fitting. Someone kindly adapted it for me. I'm still using the reg but the needle valve isnt very adjustable. If you breathe on it or give it a harsh glance it'll likely lose 1bps.
Rant over, Hope you all had a good weekend.

Harsh luck.
If they are all within 2 months old then take them all back and get your money back ;)

think it covers every hobby not just fishkeeping thats the beauty of the internet forums research can be a godsend

relieved your ok with the up diffuser after just this minute ordering one :thumbup:

In Australia a common brand name here is AquaOne. I bought their biggest and most expensive cansiter filter and the manual didnt tell me that I needed to equalise the pressure in the tank to the outside atmosphere when I do a filter clean. Which ended up in me breaking one of the plastic clips the first time I cleaned it.

The problem probably is the nature of business. Everyone wants a low price but buisness wants maximum profit. So they give us the cheapest cruddiest product at a high price.

I think it's simply that we have comfortably accepted a low quality of product simply because the price is right. There are a lot of aspects that I see that I think need proper scientific and industrial design ideologies implicated in their design, filter outlets being my number one thought. We are but a niche in a tiny over all market so costs like these will be rare and exceptional.

I think my number one worst product has to go to some lilly pipes that had inlet slits so small my ex1200 which normally did around 800lph could barely breathe 200lph after they were attached!
Closely followed by a lot of the stuff ADA sell as vital. ;)

Back