• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Experience with Cardinal Shrimp (caridina dennerli)

heliophyte

I'm researching possible inhabitants for my new tank. I have read that Cardinal Shrimp can be kept on the local tap water (RO is too much of a pain), and now I'm wondering if anyone has experience keeping these awesome critters in a planted community tank.
I'm not planning to put anything larger than an otocinclus affinis in there.

Not got any experience but I've been researching for a while now with a view to setting up a tank for them.
Really needs to be species only as they need quite specific water parameters so ro remineralised with something like Salty Shrimp Sulawesi Mineral and the tank needs to be set up well in advance to grow the algae they predominantly feed on.

I'm researching possible inhabitants for my new tank. I have read that Cardinal Shrimp can be kept on the local tap water (RO is too much of a pain),
Hi @heliophyte Your best bet if you do not want to deal with RO water, is to get a reading of your tap water (pH, GH and TDS especially) and find a source that have them kept (and possibly bred) in waters that resembles your tap water as close as possible and slowly drip acclimate them. If your water is too far off from the source chance of success will be greatly reduced.

They do require quite specific water parameters as @MirandaB points out.

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks for the replies. I checked already, and there are local breeders that keep them on tap water. That is why I am confident about it.
I am more interested in their other needs. I can find what I would need for a biotope tank, but not much about how they thrive outside of a specialized tank.
Mostly that I should watch out and not do big waterchanges, but rather do frequent small changes.

Thanks for the replies. I checked already, and there are local breeders that keep them on tap water. That is why I am confident about it.
Good. Yes, as long as parameter differences between the breeders tap water and your tap water are within tolerable ranges for the Cardinal Shrimps you should fine :)

I am more interested in their other needs. I can find what I would need for a biotope tank, but not much about how they thrive outside of a specialized tank.
Mostly that I should watch out and not do big waterchanges, but rather do frequent small changes.
There might be some good bits of info here you might find helpful.

Cheers,
Michael

Not got any experience but I've been researching for a while now with a view to setting up a tank for them.
Really needs to be species only as they need quite specific water parameters so ro remineralised with something like Salty Shrimp Sulawesi Mineral and the tank needs to be set up well in advance to grow the algae they predominantly feed on.
+1

Back