• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Experienced fish keepers: What are you feeding your fish?

Hi all,

They are <"very round, and not very active">. You can see them below on the dark plastic.

911c59e3d9b8592eca65a8921af5bae9-jpg.jpg

They also smell, a sweet, minty smell, with slightly unpleasant undertones.

cheers Darrel

That’s some massive grindal worms, mine get nowhere near as big as that.

I didn’t get them from TA but they are German so may be the same thing. They’re very good, well accepted by all fish including Poecilocharax Weitzmani which can be very fussy.

As for the black worms I haven’t found a fish that doesn’t love them, they suck them up like spaghetti.

cheers

Conor

Do you rehydrate/soak the black worms before feeding, or just feed them dry?

Do you rehydrate/soak the black worms before feeding, or just feed them dry?
Did you buy loose or the cubed version? I’ve only used the cubes, I either stick this directly to the glass or soak them and mash these up a bit to form a paste which then sinks for my corydoras.

Did you buy loose or the cubed version? I’ve only used the cubes, I either stick this directly to the glass or soak them and mash these up a bit to form a paste which then sinks for my corydoras.

Yeah I bought 25g of the cubes.

Discus are said to do exceptionally well on tubifex and I was thinking of culturing blackworm in a sump refugium primarily as high quality food for my black rams.

I was also going to culture daphnia and shrimp there too and adding asselus to the main tank. There seems something more wholistic about including inverts in freshwater. It seems to bring a fuller lifecycle. If anyone has concerns on that approach I’d love to hear them as after advice.

I was also going to culture daphnia and shrimp there too and adding asselus to the main tank. There seems something more wholistic about including inverts in freshwater. It seems to bring a fuller lifecycle.

The thing that switched me to marine aquariums over tropical in the past was that it was much easier to keep a fuller natural ecosystem. I loved all the shrimp, worms, brittlestars, pods etc and it often fascinated me more than the corals and fish. Since then the freshwater side has got massively into shrimp and other tiny inverts and it's nice that people are keeping a more diverse tank, couple that with the few who look even wider and add other critters and I think you are on to a winner.

I recently set up a deep sand bed in my 125 gallon which grows worms and all kinds of critters which my fish love. I have discus, corys, tetras, glass catfish, saes, kuhli loaches.

To supplement I blend beefheart, krill, peas and garlic with vitamin water.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Artificial: bug bites, dennerle complete 2mm, tropica flakes.
Living: Grindal worms, C. blackworm, wingless fruit flies, springtails, the odd whiteworm.
Seasonal: mosq. larvae, bloodworm, aphids, small caterpillars.
Also blanched nettles, pollen for some fish and shrimp. And pellets for algae eaters.

Reviving a defunct thread. My family has recently acquired a dehydrator, Lord knows what for, but I immediately thought of using it for fish feed. If one were to dehydrate a mixture containing raw fish, would that give it a shelf life comparable to commercial dry foods? Last time I made some fish food I used some bell pepper, garlic, heart, calamari, krill, spinach/kale, and a couple of other things. Some lean fish, for example.

Perhaps the fish could be avoided altogether, and calamari/prawns used as to minimize the amount of fat. Or even rely solely on beef heart, this is never going to be the main course, merely something to toss in now and again or when the culture needs a break. So beef heart + all the veggies...

Last edited:
I shall carry on the revival as it's a good thread. I mainly feed Fluval Bug bites. I also feed frozen bloodworm/dapnia once a week, I bought far too much for my little fish so it's been in the freezer for a year or two taking up space. Seems a lot are live feeding, I really should try it...

I shall carry on the revival as it's a good thread. I mainly feed Fluval Bug bites. I also feed frozen bloodworm/dapnia once a week, I bought far too much for my little fish so it's been in the freezer for a year or two taking up space. Seems a lot are live feeding, I really should try it...
I have not progressed to live food yet. I know I should, but I am absolutely paranoid something will go wrong or the fish get sick! Someone reassure me!

Someone reassure me!

I'm not sure how live food could possibly cause fish to become ill, outside of introducing bugs caught from a wild pond or lake (even then it seems unlikely). Certainly for daphnia grown in buckets in your garden, or Grindal worms grown in tubs in your house, I don't believe there to be any risk at all.

Hi all,
but I am absolutely paranoid something will go wrong or the fish get sick! Someone reassure me!
I agree with the others, live food <"is absolutely fine">, in fact it is the best food you can feed your fish.

If I was just to culture one food now it would be <"Live food culture - Crangonyx pseudogracilis"> fish love them and they are a more balanced diet than Grindal or Black worms.

Some people only feed terrestrial invertebrates (Drosophila (Fruitfly), Grindal Worms etc), but mine get PYO Daphnia, Crangonyx, California Blackworms, Mosquito larvae etc.

cheers Darrel

Back