• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Experiences with Ranalisma Rostrata in Hard Water

frothhelmet

I got some Ranalisma Rostrata about 3 months ago from Alastair. It was growing gangbusters in his Chocolate Lake with high light and without CO2. But now that I am growing it in these conditions it doesnt really grow for me at all--does stay alive though.... Unlike Alastair the water I have is hard/alkaline (ph 7.5, Kh 9) as opposed to soft/acid. Has anyone else experienced the same problem with growing this species in hard/alkaline water?

When I put it in mine (hi tech/moderately hard) I was still having algae issues. It didn't die but didn't do much either. As the tank improved I got quite a lot of fresh green growth and odd runners. I took it out to clean it all off but instead gave it to Lee for his roots dyed black tank instead, figured it may do much better for him in his softwater set up than it did for me :)

Didn't do anything for me in fact the roots melted consderably.
Water is very hard.
Had it floating in a high tec for a while then dumped most of it...may have a few mini plants hiding somewhere in a RO Hi Tec tank.
Will have a look later.
hoggie

My water is about as hard as it gets and it's now starting to take off,sending out runners in my high tech :) unfortunately it suffered a serious meltdown when it first went in and I only have a fine gravel substrate with root tabs under so it's been up against it lol.
12462735825_2367595b5d_c.jpg

I'm not altogether convinced it's really happy with pressurised co2 and I'm going to transfer a few pieces into a tank with a decent substrate, just dosing easycarbo to see what happens.

Attachments

• 12462735825_2367595b5d_c.jpg
    12462735825_2367595b5d_c.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 85
As an aside, if anybody has any of this spare, I'd absolutely love to buy some. Mine got lost in the post (twice) when I bought it from Alastair :( Sorry this post is completely off topic.

Same for me london tapwater never really got going in my low tech took off slowly in my high tech nothing like Al's growth rate but is putting out runners slowly but surely.

I had the same experience in my concrete water. It's still alive in my low tec but hasn't grown. In the last 3 weeks I've noticed runners and some growth in my hi tec but it has taken its time.

Back