• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

experimental 5l jar

chka

Another retrospective journal.
Begining of January I bought this 5l spherical jar in Tesco for experiments
so I put a bit of amazonia soil and some white sand of top, put some spare plants, and one pregnant Neocaridina davidi, and few small pond snail from other tanks.
I put this jar on a window with direct sun light. No heater, no filtration, no feeding. 50% water changes once in 1-2 weeks.
7?token_hash=AAF75NNYt1Zpxl1M43prhxvli8FUFQf9u-KXO7SSi2OsjQ.jpg

after couple of weeks I sow little shriplets. And they seems to feel fince -were very active in contrast with mother shrimp. Night water temperature dropped till 15C. day time without sunshine 18-19C. At sunny day it was as high as 35C!
in few weeks shrimplets become quite bigger:
[DOUBLEPOST=1398944201][/DOUBLEPOST]Some plants were not really growing in such conditions, but ludvigia repens grows a lot and almost filled the jar which I did not like.
So I decided to restart this jar. All shrimps went to newly flooded http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/stonehenge-55l.32836/ 55l Stonehenge. And I did about 2 weeks dry start for HC Cuba and some other small plants.
I put another pregnant shrimp there, and later added big sea snail shell.
2?token_hash=AAF75NNYt1Zpxl1M43prhxvli8FUFQf9u-KXO7SSi2OsjQ.jpg

4?token_hash=AAF75NNYt1Zpxl1M43prhxvli8FUFQf9u-KXO7SSi2OsjQ.jpg

Last edited:
Cyclops will do easily. I have them now in all my tanks. they survived even in community tank. But they are too small to watch them.
Daphnias require very oxygenated water and this jar is first where they seems to thrive...[DOUBLEPOST=1399560365][/DOUBLEPOST]another interresting thing about that jar - direct sunlight, no CO2, but somehow no algae at all!!! accidental equilibrium? :)

I was away for about 3 weeks so one photo update on my return:
IMG_5438.JPG

colonies of Cyclops and Daphnias disappeared. Probably over competed by growing shrimps for food. Or probably the reason is nobody dropped liquifry which I did quite irregularly before just in case.

Last edited:
now it is about half year for that jar set-up. It stays at direct sun light all the day - the window looks at south-south-west. No algae problem what so ever! What is "wrong"? :) I just want to have some explanation because it is written everywhere - no direct sun light!

Very cool experiment that anybody could try at home! Also a great way to see how new plants grow!!
Impressive :)

Just a photo update. No much changes here, still no algae :) 2 weeks ago put few new born danio rerio inside and they seems doing ok slowly growing in same speed as the rest of them in dedicated tank. Difficult to picture them though...

ebd341a46eb60bfabfdee9ae8f84f966.jpg

Back