• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External c02 diffuser

swackett

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting an external c02 diffuser for my 240 l tank. I've been looking at the AquaMedic 1000 and the cal aqua one - Although I'm not sure I need a glass one as it won't be seen inside the cabinet.

Does anyone have experience of using either of these and whether they would recommend it or not?

Would the AM1000 fit the Eheim hose used by the professional 3 series (which I think is 16/22mm) without using any adaptors? The AM website states two sets of hose tail sizes 12/16mm and 16/18mm which is confusing, I'm guessing they are quoting internal hose dimensions, in which case it would, but if someone could confirm that would be great :)

If there any other good external diffusers out there that people would recommend I'm all ears :)

Cheers,

Thanks for the reply,

I am confused as to why the AM 1000 web site mentions 12/16, surely it does not matter what the external dimension of the hose are :? . In the AM1000 product manual you can download is says the one hose tail is 16/18 and one 12/16, this seems odd to me so I was wondering if anyone has got one and if so, could they let me know if the Eheim hose 16/22mm will fit stright onto it.

Have you used the diffusor in the link you posted? I would like an external reactor/diffuser and was wondering if anyone could recommend one?

Thanks again

external doesnt matter really, it is just how tough it will be (reffering to hose). Not sure about the reactor though!

I have only just started using the diffuser on my 216l, (literally days) and so far it is good :)
search boyu diffuser on here and there is a couple of threads on them.
The reactors are still better though, so it depends on the price you want to pay.

the eheim will fit providing you get the 16/ 18mm reactor, but isomeone will confirm.

Thanks for the info,

I've seen the AM1000 for £49.99, this seems quite a good price and if reactors are better maybe I get one of these, however if someone who has one/used one could share their experience then that would be great?

Cheers

AM1000 is only available in 12/16mm diameter. I though, plugged in my Eheim 16/22 tubing without adapters, just soldering them with some hose clips. Many did the same without problems before me

However, anyone noticing that external reactors filled with some bioballs, like the AM1000 result in more dust particles in the tank, depositing on leaves? I suspect the small dust particles would accumulate quickely in the reactor and cause problems in tank. Please people using exteranl reactors confirm this

Thanks for the pointer Paul, although that thread is mainly for the AM1000, I found it very useful.

I'd like to read about other diffusors/reactors out there and peoples experiences with them.

I've just a quick search of the forum and can't seem to find anything on the CalAqua 17mm diffusor, has anyone got one of these and if so how have they found it?

Thanks

Steve

swackett said:
Thanks for the pointer Paul, although that thread is mainly for the AM1000, I found it very useful.

I'd like to read about other diffusors/reactors out there and peoples experiences with them.

I've just a quick search of the forum and can't seem to find anything on the CalAqua 17mm diffusor, has anyone got one of these and if so how have they found it?

Thanks

Steve

Steve

i am sure somebody else asked the same question ? and i think the only issue was how to clean it - but I could be wrong.

Paul.

Hi Steve
I've got a Cal Aqua 17mm. I think it's great. I find the diffusion excellent, although it can be noisy at times, emitting a high pitched squeak if that makes sense, and it's quite hard to clean manually because of all the nooks and cranny's. Soaking would probably work, but you'd need to replace the outpipe on your filter. Overall though, I'm extremelly happy with it and wouldn't change it.

Thanks for the info

How did you find attaching the hoses to the ends? Does it seem fragile as its made of glass or fairly robust?

No probs.
It's actually made with quite thick glass and I was very pleased with how well it handled - it was extremely easy to attach 16mm tubing to it, although I'm now afraid to take it off for cleaning :lol:. The 16mm tubing hasn't needed any ties or anything to hold it on and there's been no slippage.

Okay, sounds like the best option to me, I have broken a rhinox diffuser in the past so hearing that this one is bit more robust is great.

Have you tried covering yours with black cloth so the keep the light out and so keep the algae at bay!

Thanks

I haven't actually covered mine, because I don't like the look of it, and it's in a fairly dark place, so it's only after a year that I've decided it needs a clean :D. If it got algae all the time I would definately cover it because I'd be so paranoid about breaking it.

Back