• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External Filter Booster Pump

dino21

Hi,

Have an Eheim Ecco Pro 2 cansiter filter, rated at 600 lph but from new, the actual flow rate is rather on the lowish side, down to about 100 lph , partly becasue its situated low in relation to the top of the tank, but that cannot be changed.
As suggested by other members the trays are only half full of media so no great obstacle there.

Is there a suitable pump that could be added to increase the flow thats also reasonably quiet and safe-ish from leaks ?

There are a few versions that look very similar on eBay but read the description carefully if you want to go that route. Some have included pumps and some don’t.

Thanks, that would be an option as the pump has what looks like good secure hose fittings.
Have ordered on of these little DC pumps, rated at up to 800lph thats got the screw threads to mate up to some hose tail adapters, so hopefully no leaks plus being DC can easily tune it to the ideal flow.
Just not sure how quiet it will be, but under a tenner worth a try.

Edit - @Aqua sobriquet - just saw your reply /comments in the 'Noisy Eheim' thread, thats the cause of our flow/head problem. Because of its noise placed it in the void below our suspended timber floor.
Like others, feel rather cheated paying for a 'premium product' only to find that Eheim quality and support no long exists for home comsumers.
000329.jpg

Last edited:
I had an Eheim external in the 1980’s and it was fine. It was made in Germany unlike the new ones that are made in China. I would love to know for certain what Eheim have changed that makes their modern filters so noisy. I managed to do a quick wet test yesterday and it does sound better than it did.

@dino21 worth looking at the Jecod and Jebao range of adjustable DC pumps in my opinion to give you more control.

5 or so years ago they hit the marine world by storm and for less than £100 you could get a return pump that people like Bubble Magus charged £600 for, only the BM wasn't DC or have adjustable flow.
This left people questioning how a 'cheap Asian' product could out perform the big names and some more, they run almost silently too once they've had a week to bed in like most pumps.
Since then D-D The Aquarium Solution have taken UK rights on certain products of theirs which if you know about them means the product is of such a quality that they know they will sell easy.

Some of the other Jecod/Jebao products like the Gyre copy, powerheads, dosers etc are nothing like their return pumps.

Ask @Geoffrey Rea for his opinion on them.

Back