• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filter guarantee

crazyhorse

Hi peeps
I had water leak on my external filter Tetra 400 few das ago. Its one year and 4 months old and I bought it new . Never had any problems with it. When I go to store they told me they have only one year guarantee. ONE YEAR? REALLY ? What do you think? Is it really ?

Hi
Most things have 1 year manufacturer's guarantee only Im afraid.
Where is leaking exactly.I have couple of them running about 6 years now.It happened in the past to get minor leaks after opening to clean them but fixed them easy with pulling the seals off and rotating them a bit before fitting back.Had few broken taps too but thats on me
Regards Konsa

Hi
In different countries based on the market situation the sellers will add to the manufacturer's warranty thats why U will be able to find some other warranty periods online.
From cover is a bit too general.Can U post pic and mark on it the leak to get better idea.
Regards Konsa

New consumer legislation means although a product is guaranteed (,provided it’s not been misused obvious,)and this is usually 1,2 and sometimes more years, a product has to be deemed “fit for purpose”, which is for 6 years.This is why more often than not extended warranties are unnecessary. It’s only fair I think though to maintain replace seals when needed and clean the impeller depending on the aquarium. Responsibility for returning/replacing a faulty product within 6 years is with the place of purchase and is against sales of goods act to for the retailer to tell you otherwise. This is in the UK and the EU

While I agree with Paraguay, the sale of goods act was replaced by the Consumer Rights act in the UK some time in 2015 and nothing shops like more than a customer telling them the sale of goods act states xyz, and the shop staff looking down their noses at you and happily telling you the sale of goods act no longer applies.

The contents of the consumer rights act is pretty much the same as the sale of goods act from the point of view of that part of it, they merged sale of goods act, unfair terms in consumer contract regulation and the supply of goods and services act into the one consumer rights act.

Well you get some retailers like that,were as a big chain will just exchange some smaller retailers will argue the point that it’s the buyer whose wrong.At times without investigating.Thats my point about fairness if the buyer has not neglected to maintain the product( in most cases 6 years )as recommended then he or she is entitled to replacement/refund, the cost should be in the long run to the wholesaler and eventually the manafactuerer of the product. It’s a case of retailer won’t accept that product is faulty so complain formally,email or write to manafacturer also, if no reply in 8 weeks write to Retail Ombudsman,report to trading standards. Martin Lewis-Resolver has template letter advice, all it involves cost of postage stamps or 5 minutes writing email of time.

Back