External Filters- buying cheap any pitfalls?

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by Drouthie, 29 Jun 2009.

1. Drouthie

Drouthie Member

Hi,

I would like to get an external filter for my Rio 180L but don't have much money. I hve been looking on ebay and the prices are less intimidating. What do I need to look out for if buying wierd makes or 2nd hand? Is it a mistake to do this? I don't want to come home and find that the livingroom has becaome a marsh and all my fish are dead. Also if they are really rubbish and I'd be better saving my money up and waiting I would like to know.

Any experience/warnings or tips for spotting a good one appreciated.

2. Josst

Josst Newly Registered

By buying second hand you do risk leaky valves etc and lack a warranty, try looking for a brand called JEBO, i have seen lots of good reveiws and they are pretty cheap.

3. gratts

gratts Member

You can get a Fluval 205 for £55, or a 305 for around £75.
    How cheap are the ones you've seen on ebay?

4. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

what is your budget?
    There are some pretty cheap filters about. I have bought 2nd hand twice. On my recent purchase (tetratec EX1200) it leaked, however, this was a known fact by Tetra so they replaced it for me with no questions asked!
    I had heard of their good customer service so i decided to take the risk.
    The other filter i bought was a eheim 2215

5. Drouthie

Drouthie Member

Ideally under £50 but I'm probably asking too much, I'll check out those brands mentioned. There are some pretty cheap ones on e bay at the moment but they are still open to bids so I bet they'll go up. I was hoping to keep an eye out for any good deals. I really shouldn't be buying anything but I think I have a fishy addiction :?

6. gratts

gratts Member

7. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Yeh for a filter rated around 1800lph you'll be lucky to get one new for 50quid. I did get a second hand fluval 204 cheap on eBay and it works a treat so it is possible :) guess you'll have to be vigilant and wait for a bargain deal. They do happen!

Alternatively you could get something like a ex1200 and a powerhead for the water flow?

Sam

8. Lozbug

Lozbug Member

i'm a big fan of tetratec EX range :)

9. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Unfortunately the 205 is far to low turnover for a 180l tank.

Sam

10. Drouthie

Drouthie Member

11. Nelson

Nelson Member

hi,
    i looked at them but bottled out :rolleyes: .asked what they were like and got this reply,
    don't know if this is still available but you could ask viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5970