• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filters

Martin cape

Hi guys.

I'm getting quite tempted to get an external filter for my Rio 180. Basically so I can ditch the massive black box in the corner.

Only thing, I have no idea where to start, what to look at, how they work, filter media etc.

Any advice, recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I switched out the internal filter in my Juwel Vision 180 for an Eheim 2126.
Awesome decision as it not only provides better filtration but just tidies up the look of the tank and gives a surprisingly large amount of space back.

The added advantage of this filter is that it also has the heater built in, so the tank doesnt need a heater put into it either!

I would definitely recommend something similar for you.

Hi,
You'll have the filter unit in the cupboard beneath your tank (assuming there is a cupboard/you have it on a cabinet) with the water going in an inlet pipe down to the filter canister and then another pipe returning to the tank. You can then have a variety of outlet's on your return pipe but most people use a spray bar. Some people have an extended spray bar which runs along the back of the the tank, the full length, facing the front of the tank to produce a nice circular flow ( back>front>down>back). I however have a short spray bar at one end, a power head below it facing the same way to increase the flow within the tank.
You should aim for a filter with a high turnover, aiming to have turnover in the tank 10x volume of tank. I use an Eheim 2075 which I've had no problems with. It's quiet, comes with all the media and is easy to maintain. What you go for will be personal preference and budget. They are worth the investment though .

I also use an inline heater (hydor) and an inline atomiser (up). Which you couldn't do with an internal of course

Ooh, I love these "best ice cream" debates. I vote for Eheim 2180 Thermofilter...Legendary...
FX5 wins runner-up.

Cheers,

Ooh, I love these "best ice cream" debates. I vote for Eheim 2180 Thermofilter...Legendary...
FX5 wins runner-up.

Cheers,

Ditto.

If you have space and money, not much point going smaller. I would say FX5 is runner up, but with some distance. This more to do with power consumption and pipe compatibility though.

I love my G filters, but only coz i'm lazy! If I was to go out and buy a filter today based on cost and efficiency it would be an FX5.

I got a used Eheim 2028 of Clive (ceg4048) back in 2007 and it's still going ;)

Thanks for the response.

Looking to spend about £100 on the actual filter. I know to go Eheim. That's obvious lol.

But no idea about the different numbers etc.

The current internal has an output of 600lph so I need to match or better that. I have a Koralia Nano 900 in there too to aid flow.

Probably can't afford the thermofilters will go with the inline Hydor I think.

Back