• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

external reactor, gas build up?

hi, i have an aqua medic external reactor.
i seem to get a pocket of gas build up in it everyday, this then makes an annoying trickling sound until i vent the excess gas, anyone else have this problem if so is there anything i can do to rectify this?

thanks

Superman said:
I get the same, I don't see as a problem.
I shut off the co2 an hour before lights off and the bubble goes quick enough.
A build up shows that your injecting a bit too much and more than the flow rate of the water can keep the bubbles circulating in the reactor.

the only problem is the noise, its pretty much silent until the gas build up then it makes a trickle sound which just annoys me! :0/

I had this on my Aquamas with a lower output filter. Once I swapped over to a higher rated one the bubble never formed.

Dave.

ok, thats something i'll look into,
i'm running the aqua medic reactor 1000 with an ehiem pro2 2028,
maybe i'll try removing some media and see if that improves it at all!

hi BVB
just read read through you post and i to am suffering the same problem with the same set up as yourself.
How and did you sort it out?
many thanks
J

hey,
i learnt to live with the noise! :0)
altho...
removing the middle tray of media did help a little, (i run two filters so not a worry) also make sure the pipes coming from the top of the filter are not kinked over at all further restricting flow.
i did also think about fitting a defuser in the tank and running a tube from the bleed off valve, but never bothered.
another option could be to run the bleed off to the inlet of the filter some how?

hi gutted to here no instant solution .I might consider filter upgrade if space and money allow :?
cheers J

hi superman
good idea about using small sponges,maybe filter wool aswell might work?.It is a new reactor so it might bed in but i dont think it will somehow.At the moment its full of siporax .Im just not used to noise in my bedroom :shh:
regards J

jh81271 said:
hi superman
good idea about using small sponges,maybe filter wool aswell might work?.It is a new reactor so it might bed in but i dont think it will somehow.At the moment its full of siporax .Im just not used to noise in my bedroom :shh:
regards J
Just remember that the more you put in, the less flow you'll get.

Hi all,

I run my aquamedic 1000 with no media in it at all on a tetratech Ex 1200. I don't suffer from having a build up of gas which needs bleeding off or noise (guess I got lucky there). I would agree in that I think the reactor is recieving insufficient flow to disolve the ammount of co2 its being asked to. I have read elsewhere that a lot of the gas that needs gassing off is not co2 at all but other gasses that are impurities in the supplied co2 that have difficulty dissolving into the water. So it may also matter where you get your co2 from and its purity (or where the bottles where filled).

I do get the occasional bubble coming through my spraybar though which makes a tiny spitting kind of noise but I have found this to be a great audible warning of when there is to much gas being injected into the chamber in the first instance . Excessive spitting noise = too high co2 input. The only problem I really have with my AM1000 is that it is almost too efficient, the sweet spot is very small and can be difficult to maintain.

I also live in the knowledge that if I where to suffer a bottle dump then because of the efficiency of the AM 1000 I would have a lot less time to spare than a more inefficient system. For this reason I change the bottle out as soon as the high pressure gauge falls bellow about 45-50bar and I no longer try to squeeze the dregs from the canister.

Regards, Chris.

Back