• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Extra flow just during CO2, photoperiod, or 24 hours?

Surya

I'd appreciate thoughts. My tank is the 240 litre Fluval Roma and I use pressurised CO2 via a Neo diffuser. The filter is a Fluval 406 which has a 1450 lph output. I've added a Hydor Koralia 1600 lph powerhead at the other end, positioned above the CO2 diffuser, which seems to circulate the bubbles around the tank much more evenly. So together there is over 10x flow (if the ratings are to be believed...).

Is it best to:

(a) Have the powerhead on only when CO2 is being diffused (starts 2 hours before photoperiod, and ends 2 hours before lights off)
(b) Have it on during CO2 AND while lights stay on
(c) Have it on 24 hours a day?

Just thinking the fish might appreciate the break and also perhaps extend the life of the Koralia (and save electricity!)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Well since I got my Twin Maxspect Gyres which can be programmed on a 24 different schedules in a 24hr period with different/outputs/modes/speeds at 5% increments my tank has changing tank turnover rates all day and night long, but in a nutshell the faster rates are durring the CO2/photoperiod and the slower rates at night, but even when maxed out at 100% thats 18,000LPH plus the Fluval FX6 filter output OFC in a 500L tank the livestock cope with the flow no problem, Only have them on at high outputs for short time or when turkey Blasting the carpet (helps keep the detritus in suspension whilst the filter filters it out)

I would say (b) or (c) would be the best choice

Having it go off every so often also allows for all the bits of leaves etc to fall off them and the snails and scrimp clean them too so I would use (b) OFC Having twin gyres easy to do at night as only have one on at a time alternating for most of night.

Thanks very much!

Unfortunately I might be getting rid of the pump. It is SO noisy. It goes through periods of being quiet then a really loud noise. I thought it would settle down but it's ongoing... grr.

Back