• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Facebook Planted Tank Groups

Hi all,
.....Also this garbage about floaters doing well as a sign that your ferts are fine and it must be a carbon issue. Most floating plants require very little nutrients compared to stem plants by their design. They are much simpler organisms and survive on not only less quantity of ferts but fewer types of ferts because they require less lignin development, being floaters with access to much higher lighting they require less nutrients dedicated to chlorophyll production as well. For someone who suggested that people need to read up more...you clearly need to do the same and to better understand what it is that you are reading.
Well, that told you (and me). I shall now go a way and have a re-think.

I liked the "simpler organisms", "fewer types of ferts" and "lignin" bits, particularly as <"lignin"> only contains (a lot of) carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

It may be wrong, but it has a certain something, a bit like a really good answer on the <"defend the indefensible" segment at the end of Radio 5's "Fighting Talk">.

cheers Darrel

I never realy thought of it before that a simple dutch word meaning Fanfare could lead to that.. Mainly people from the US had the most troublre with Bomb - Arie..

A friend of mine got banned from the Sony Gaming Network because his online name was Tallybar, they thought it sounded too much like Taliban, even when he explained his name was Barry Tallentire they still weren’t having it and locked his account. He lost all the Trophies and achievements for the games he was playing because they didn't have a system in place to change your online name once you'd picked one.

Just leave the group man! Let them carry on with their circle jerk - laugh about them.

Yeah I did that last night brother more to stop my phone constantly bleeping and save my battery, I guess you need to know when you to walk away :)

Steeeppp learning curve there for me, something I won't be repeating. If I can pull a positive out of a negative experience. I now have greater respect and understanding of cyber bullying and what actually goes on, not that I was bullied but it is stressful. I see newsreaders and politicians on TV complaining about the backlash they get on twitter etc and I also have a teenage daughter, I often think grow a pair and tell them to f@ck off but it's not as simple as that. Especially for a teenager who needs to face these people at school the next day. I was brought up on a council estate in the North, not what you would call a desirable post code :D If someone called you out you had to deal with it to save face, that I can deal with.

I think what was worse was out of all the messages that were popping up on my phone I thought I'll sort the wheat from the Chaff and only discuss things with anyone that is going to explain their point and not even furnish idiot teenagers who were just jumping on the band wagon with no substance with a reply, but when I looked on the profiles the people who were being particularly obnoxious were 40 odd year old fathers with university degrees! Do they act and talk to strangers like that in real life? I'm surprised they've survived that long tbh. I guess they don't though, not unless they have a few thousand miles of cable to hide behind.

GIF's, what's that all about? I think people wrongly assume that you have seen all the films that they have and the film it was taken from. Someone would reply with a gif and I didn't even know what it meant, were they agreeing or not? Grow up, that's what I say or maybe I'm getting too old for this kinda crap.

Ironically, other than the slating I got for posting the above comments the main bone of contention seemed to be about LC. I suggested to the OP to use some as it gives them a little bit of carbon in a non co2 tank. When we eventually got down to the bare bones of the matter and people started explaining some numbers were put up about how much carbon is created by by LC and you could get the same amount of co2 by adding some o2 to the tank (the amount from lc was minuscule) which to be fair, I'm sure I've seen Clive do that sum before in here but there was molecular weights and what have you in there so I didn't look into too much as I don't use LC as a carbon source so no need to fill my head with that level of science. I just spot dose algae with it now and again, it works for that and that's all I need to know. Then they got advised to use the LC for its "other benefits" and it does add a small amount of carbon, is that not what I said in the first place? All thing could've been dealt with in a couple of mature sentences without the circus!

Anyway got a gif of a cat clinging to a tree in the wind and a horse dragging someone across the floor tied to it by their ankles, no idea what that means but I'm guessing it wasn't good :D:D:D:D

Whatever man, not a good experience but one I'm putting behind me. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Last edited:
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

That's the spirit! I used to get really annoyed by people online (youtube mainly) in comments sections. But then I realised, they're nobody - I don't need to impress them.

I wouldn't let it put you off using any platform of discussion. You just have to choose the one that has the least amount of Richards.

Anyway, you think that's bad - try a marine forum. It'll make Facebook look tame by comparison.

Pixiedust isn't it??:p

That's what I got when I mentioned Flourish Excel, wasn't you was it ED? :D

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

I wouldn't let it put you off using any platform of discussion. You just have to choose the one that has the least amount of Richards.

Yeah I won't mate, to be fair I only frequent two forums, this one and a linux one. I very rarely use Facebook and I have to put my hands up, I love extracting the urine out of people on there but they all know me well. They know my sense of humour and to take everything I say with a pinch of salt. Also partial to going on Twitter and calling out politicians, nothing heavy but I like watching them get interviewed. I can then go back later on when they contradict themselves and remind them on of what they said. If they're going to get paid by the tax payer to tell me how I should live my life then as far as I'm concerned they're fair game. I don't insult anyone though.

I think that's it, you get to know people and know the boundaries. Some people in here although I've never actually met them I've knew for years. You can gauge what's allowed or how they are going to take it. Fair enough when we're dealing with people from different countries some things get lost in translation and took the wrong way. I woudln't start pulling apart someone with three posts and calling them an idiot for asking a simple question just because I knew the answer, one day I didn't and don't expect to get treated like that.

That's what I got when I mentioned Flourish Excel, wasn't you was it ED? :D

View attachment 113288

Yeah I won't mate, to be fair I only frequent two forums, this one and a linux one. I very rarely use Facebook and I have to put my hands up, I love extracting the urine out of people on there but they all know me well. They know my sense of humour and to take everything I say with a pinch of salt. Also partial to going on Twitter and calling out politicians, nothing heavy but I like watching them get interviewed. I can then go back later on when they contradict themselves and remind them on of what they said. If they're going to get paid by the tax payer to tell me how I should live my life then as far as I'm concerned they're fair game. I don't insult anyone though.

I think that's it, you get to know people and know the boundaries. Some people in here although I've never actually met them I've knew for years. You can gauge what's allowed or how they are going to take it. Fair enough when we're dealing with people from different countries some things get lost in translation and took the wrong way. I woudln't start pulling apart someone with three posts and calling them an idiot for asking a simple question just because I knew the answer, one day I didn't and don't expect to get treated like that.

People get a little too offended these days, it's pathetic. Nothing at all offends me - yes, I have morals and beliefs but if someone goes against them..... not even a twitch from me. I've come to learn that being placid makes the r-sole even angrier. Very funny to watch.

I also watch a lot of Steve Hughes - I highly recommend it.

Haha, yeah I've seen some of his stuff before. Often people get offended on other people's behalf I find. Who knows what's offensive any more, big things going on in UK at the minute about women's rights with it being 100 years since women got the vote. Was having this conversation with my missus who seemed to get deeply offended when I was slagging off certain women who were showing up on TV interviews saying nothing has changed and that they still get treat like sex objects. All for equality and so proud of the women who fought for it back in the day but to be fair some of these women have appeared in mags like FHM with their front kn@ckers out. I don't think you have the right to complain about being treated like a sex object when essentially you have made your living and fame from being a sex object. Don't think its in the same league as suffragettes.

Also see, single women going out telling you that they are wearing something hot because they're looking for some action (I'm down with that) which is all good and well when they get some attention from a dishy bloke then complain that they're getting stared at by a "weirdo" when he's not. You can't set your stall out then complain when someone peruses the goods on offer.

Head and shoulders advert with the gay hairdresser reinforcing the stereotype that all male hairdressers must be gay. Vodafone advert with something you can clip on to your bags so you never lose it and can track where its gone getting chased round an airport by an Asian couple because they've picked up the wrong bag reinforcing the stereotype that Asians are spies who kill people in airports.

Where does it end, probably now before I offend someone :) I'm not easily offended if at all, mainly because I don't take myself too serious.

Last edited:
I've experienced something similar in a Goldfish Facebook group. In the end tried my best to pass some of the things I've learned so far, but in the end left them to their own ignorance... not worth my time, and the things people say and ask are painful to say the least...

Just stay here where its safe mate. You get a more balanced approach to discussion where poeple's opinions are respected whether they are right or wrong. That's how humans interact and we all progress as a species. That's what's wrong with social media, amongst many other things. I'm finding especially with teenagers that they put themselves into groups and its so easy to block each other if people don't agree. Considering its something that was designed as a communication tool it seems that people are losing the art of conversation through it.

Haha, yeah I've seen some of his stuff before. Often people get offended on other people's behalf I find. Who knows what's offensive any more, big things going on in UK at the minute about women's rights with it being 100 years since women got the vote. Was having this conversation with my missus who seemed to get deeply offended when I was slagging off certain women who were showing up on TV interviews saying nothing has changed and that they still get treat like sex objects. All for equality and so proud of the women who fought for it back in the day but to be fair some of these women have appeared in mags like FHM with their front kn@ckers out. I don't think you have the right to complain about being treated like a sex object when essentially you have made your living and fame from being a sex object. Don't think its in the same league as suffragettes.

Also see, single women going out telling you that they are wearing something hot because they're looking for some action (I'm down with that) which is all good and well when they get some attention from a dishy bloke then complain that they're getting stared at by a "weirdo" when he's not. You can't set your stall out then complain when someone peruses the goods on offer.

Head and shoulders advert with the gay hairdresser reinforcing the stereotype that all male hairdressers must be gay. Vodafone advert with something you can clip on to your bags so you never lose it and can track where its gone getting chased round an airport by an Asian couple because they've picked up the wrong bag reinforcing the stereotype that Asians are spies who kill people in airports.

Where does it end, probably now before I offend someone :) I'm not easily offended if at all, mainly because I don't take myself too serious.

100% with you on that mate. Women (in general), celebrities, virtue signalers, reality anything, social media.... I have nothing to do with it. Nice.Simple.Life

I picked up on those ads you mentioned too - like the vanish carpet cleaning ad, just women. Then there's the kinder choco balls ad - just women. Yeah, it bothers me too but only because I noticed and it made me have to think about "why?". Is it on purpose? Coincidence? What was rejected previously before the final cut? I don't like to have to analyse things and pose questions because it's time consuming and ultimately, vacuous nonsense not worth thinking about anyway (but I still do) :)

It's not about not taking yourself too serious - there are times in life where you need to think about serious issues. Facebook dregs and mouth breathers aren't one of those times though :)

Life's complicated enough without looking for problems that might offend you. The "weirdo" I mentioned earlier. Often said to my single lady friend that he might be the one for her, might be a really lovely fella for all she knows but because he's not good looking he's a weirdo. Go figure. More stereo typing that seems acceptable. Poor guys sat there thinking, she looks hot I wonder if I stand a chance (which I guess was the desired affect she was looking for) not realising he's making her life uncomfortable. I've even had her say "he's getting it tonight whether he likes it or not" :D Obviously only joking and maybe I hang out with the wrong kind of people but if I was to say that! I've even had her admit that she uses me as "bait" to get the conversation started.
Considering back in the day it was frowned upon for women to to even be in pubs, I think we can all agree things have moved on an awful lot. Obviously the gender pay gap needs dealt with and rightly so but I think things are pretty evenly balanced these days. In my world anyway, it probably goes on in other sectors of life that I'm not aware of.

Last edited:
I'll complicate this even further, as if I possibly could. BBC Radio Newsbeat advertised a job on Twitter for a non white black or ethnic journalist position. I messaged them saying I was all for positive steps when it comes to diversity in the workplace but did they not think that advertising a job as not available to white people was a bit discriminatory. They pointed out the nature of position was reporting on black and ethnic communities so it wouldn't be suited to a white person. I pointed out that even white people live inside ethnic communities and know about it as much as anyone else. By their reasoning what would Tim Westwood a white 60 year old DJ they employ know about hip hop.

I'm all for diversity but discrimination is discrimination even when they are trying to be positive. Jobs should be available to everyone regardless and based on merit for the best candidate.

bbc.png

Not sure mate Edited*

Last edited:
Just letting you know I've edited my last post. No point naming and shaming the group in a public forum. There seemed to be a lot of ok people in there who did know their stuff.

Just wanted to find it so I could slag you off :rolleyes::lol:.
Too many groups to search though :(.

Back