• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fallen Tree

Nuno M.

Hi everyone,

This time we had to dismantle our 180l tank Rain Forest, to be the home of our Pterophyllum Scalare sp. '' Rio Nanay''

It will be another biotope layout inspired by a Rio Nanay drainage .

Here are some thoughts and concepts involved in this layout assembly...

The main intention of this layout was to give scale to the scalare , while trying to create space for them and areas that could delimit territories ...

This did not work with previous wood pieces, had to be something more imposing and at the same time freed space around for the fish to swim freely.

Again we try to create here a plausible situation that could recreate their natural habitat (Rio Nanay drainage Peru), the idea is to imagine these wood pieces as a bit of tree that cracked and as fallen to the bottom of a riverbed, this creates a darker and more sinister scenario that works for me because of the size and gracefulness of this strain of Pterphyllum scalare ...

Also present are the school of Nannostomus Marginatus who came from our previously setup Rain Forest, as well as a fabulous couple of Apistogrammas Eremnopyge , found in some tributaries of this river in the Iquitos / Loreto area.

Now lacking in this assembly plants that seems particularly suited Pistia Stratiotes lettuces and / or Eichhornia Crassipes ( more inclined towards the first ) since they are the ones that are found in this habitat.

Tank:
180L (90x45x45 10mm glass by Vidromoldura)

Lighting:
Hailea 2x39w T5 HO
1x Osram 840, 1x Radium 865

Filtering:
1x JBL e901 greenline

Heating:
TMC V2 Therm Digital Heater 200w

Other Equipment:
TMC V2 Pure 50 Advanced RO System

Hardscape:
ADA Colorado Sand, 5 pieces of Hornwood, Oak and Terminalia Catappa Leaves

Fertilization:
We only had dry salts on water change day do assure the fish and plants have the essential minerals to thrive . (CaSO4, MgSO4, K2SO4 TNC Trace)

Fauna:
5x Pterophyllum Scalare sp. ''Rio Nanay''
2x Apistogramma Eremnopyge sp. ‘Fresa’
30x Nannostomus Marginatus

And some photos ;)

IMG_4190_zps56992806.jpg

13853644655_6f4b5fc9c6_b.jpg

13858844245_ae18a4b77b_b.jpg

13905267185_fc18e98171_b.jpg

13905674074_cc3e104ce9_b.jpg

13905264935_ece707480b_b.jpg

Hope you all have the time to follow :)

Last edited:
Looks good, you need some floaters indeed, See if you like Ceratopteris pteroides, also can be found there. You will need space between lights and surface for them. If you have little room Phyllantus or Limnobium could work.

Thank you guys for your words and likes :joyful:

Looks good, you need some floaters indeed, See if you like Ceratopteris pteroides, also can be found there. You will need space between lights and surface for them. If you have little room Phyllantus or Limnobium could work.

Edvet we've got stunned with the Phyllanthus fluitans, it's very beautiful and we did not know it until now, do you have any kind of literature that specifically says that it's present in ''Rio Nanay'' drainage system ...

I think it's very suited for this scape, just the doubt remains if it's native, the red root system is superb ... And other thing is to get hold of it here in Portugal only have access to Tropica's plants sometimes Anubias and Aquaflora maybe someone from UK can send me some of it :D

That is a cracker! Excellent choice of fish and hardscape and very well composed, a huge round of applause from me:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you Dan , this words coming from you means a lot to us :)

It's a pleasure sharing our tanks here at UKAPS with all of you ...

do you have any kind of literature that specifically says that it's present in ''Rio Nanay'' drainage system ...

Kasselman mentions Peru at the Ceratopteris and the Phyllanthus. Usualy it´s hard to get real biotope data about a location, but since these are floaters i wouldn´t hesitate to use them in a Nanay biotope. ( i guess you know this site: http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?pageid=117, Rio Tigre is near Rio Nanay)

Kasselman mentions Peru at the Ceratopteris and the Phyllanthus. Usualy it´s hard to get real biotope data about a location, but since these are floaters i wouldn´t hesitate to use them in a Nanay biotope. ( i guess you know this site: http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?pageid=117, Rio Tigre is near Rio Nanay)

Thank you Edvet for your input ;)

Martin & Tom Christoffersen site is like a bible to me when speaking of apistos . it was my reference for the my AGA 2013 Biotope entry, along with some PM's to Mike Wise :)

I've asked my LFS to get hold of some Phyllanthus Fluitans, from Aquaflora nurseries (Holland), do you now if it's leaves are as big as Limnobium Laevigatum ??

Cheers

Light isn't a problem here I really need floaters to dim it, as I'm using 2x39w T5 lamps in a plant less scape :wacky:

I'm only turning them on for 4h a day to avoid algae problems ;) so I think the Phyllanthus Fluitans will turn red quite nicely ...

Back