• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Fallen Wilderness" - New Photographs First big trim!

Re: "Fallen Wilderness" Update with pics 4 weeks later

Looking good steve! I quite like it as green as it is!

is that dwarf Riccia?

Cheers everyone for the comments and replies.

The Riccia is not dwarf Riccia as far as I know, it is just called Ricia Fluitans.

The bubbles caused by the pearling under the light make it look ther is ice or white crystals on everything, it looks weird when the lights have gone off "still spooky"

If anyone would like a starter clump of Riccia I will probably have some next week when I give it a bit of a trim. I have no idea what to ask for it, but I was thinking a couple of quid plus the postage. If I was posting it I suppose I would seal it in a plastic sandwich bag and post it in a small jiffy bag so that it didn't get too squashed in transit, unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Thanks again,

Steve.

would love some riccia, i dont have c02 will it still work?? Message me im interested.

tko187 said:
would love some riccia, i dont have c02 will it still work?? Message me im interested.

Itll struggle thats for sure.. its very CO2 thirsty under the high light conditions it seems to prefer.

LondonDragon said:
Looks great, that riccia just keeps on growing :)

:eek: Tell me about it!! Its all James Flextons fault, him and his clever article :lol:

I came home from work tonight and finally two large clumps the size of saucers had oxygenated so much that they managed to break away from the roots they were growing on. JAMES HELP!!

I really should have got in there and trimmed it all back by now and if I don't do so soon.....trouble is it seems such a shame to chop it when it looks so nice.

I will photograph the bits that have come off so that if anyone wants them they can see what they will get, which will be more than I started out with. I was thinking about £6.00 :oops: (is that too much) per clump plus cost of jiffy bag and postage. If any one lives localish to Ellesmere Port feel free to pop by and collect.

Cheers

Steve.

REDSTEVEO said:
I came home from work tonight and finally two large clumps the size of saucers had oxygenated so much that they managed to break away from the roots they were growing on. JAMES HELP!!
If you don't trim it the part that is attached to the wood won't get much light and will start rotting away, reason it breaks away, happened on mine too, reason I redid mine every 4/5 weeks.

LondonDragon said:
REDSTEVEO said:
If you don't trim it the part that is attached to the wood won't get much light and will start rotting away, reason it breaks away, happened on mine too, reason I redid mine every 4/5 weeks.

I agree, I can see underneath where the clumps have broken away. I am going to give it a trim this weekend. Here are three pictures of the clumps that are now floating at the top of the tank.

120_2045.jpg

120_2046.jpg

120_2047.jpg

Let me know if anyone wants any.

Cheers,

Steve

Re: "Fallen Wilderness" Update - New Photographs 6 weeks on!!

Well it has been six weeks since the rescape "Fallen Wilderness" was completed. There has been quite a bit of growth and two trims since I planted it, mainly of the Riccia I have to say. The Tennellus has filled the whole front and probably needs thinning out now. If anyone would like any ET let me know.

I took these photos tonight from different angles and at different stages as the lights were going off from the timers. The spooky ones are at the end. Although I think now that I have achieved what I set out to do by creating my own bit of wilderness based on my original thoughts on scenes I had seen while out walking, there is probably still some evolvement to go. I have no idea how much or what it will look like in 12 months time but I am happy with it for now........ :D

Here are the photos.

From the front with all lights still on.

120_2078.jpg

As above zoomed in slightly.

120_2079.jpg

Side view from the right.

120_2080.jpg

Side view from the left.

120_2081.jpg

Front view after the 24 watt T5 Light has gone out at the front of the tank.

120_2082.jpg

A close up trying to catch some of the 30 Ember Tetras I put in 2 weeks ago. Sorry about the fuzzines I'm pretty crap at photography.

120_2083.jpg

Another close up.

120_2084.jpg

The two 18 watt Sera tubes in the centre have just gone out.

120_2085.jpg

The Riccia still pearling an hour later.

120_2086.jpg

A closer view. Sorry the photography is not brilliant.

120_2087.jpg

I'm using a Canon Digital IXUS 400, 4.0 Megapixels. It was the first one of the type so quite old. Mobile phones have got better quality / more megapixels than my camera. Arthur Negus asked me if I would bring it along to the next Antiques Roadshow :lol:

120_2088.jpg

As ever if anyone has any suggestions for improvements I'm all ears. For tank specs etc please see the earlier part of the journal.

Cheers,
Steve.

Look at that Tenellus!!
Mine just wot run. keep thinking about getting rid of it, but then I check this tank out and I just think 'lets give it another go' :D

lovely tank, looks like it should be in a fantasy novel.

Maturing nicely Steve, looking good and quite unique with the gravel, the triangle and the theme - as the other plants fill out, especially the ferns, it balances the riccia nicely. The mood shots are indeed spooky, remind me of a Tim Burton movie! If I were you I'd loose the printed backdrop - try some plain colours or graduated shades, I think you will have some very interesting effects if you play around with that. Please post in another few weeks when it looks even better...

IXUS 400 was my first digital camera 4 years ago. Very robust and decent quality - still going strong (although I got a Nikon D40 starter set recently and reccomend it).

jay said:
Look at that Tenellus!!
Mine just wot run. keep thinking about getting rid of it, but then I check this tank out and I just think 'lets give it another go' :D

lovely tank, looks like it should be in a fantasy novel.

Jay,

My Tennellus has got more runners than the London Marathon :lol:

I am going to be cutting quite a few out this weekend.

Cheers,

Steve

Ray said:
Maturing nicely Steve, looking good and quite unique with the gravel, the triangle and the theme - as the other plants fill out, especially the ferns, it balances the riccia nicely. The mood shots are indeed spooky, remind me of a Tim Burton movie! If I were you I'd loose the printed backdrop - try some plain colours or graduated shades, I think you will have some very interesting effects if you play around with that. Please post in another few weeks when it looks even better...

IXUS 400 was my first digital camera 4 years ago. Very robust and decent quality - still going strong (although I got a Nikon D40 starter set recently and recommend it).

Thanks Ray, :wideyed: you must be a mind reader or psychic or something. I have thought about this myself. Can you advise anything in particular that you think will enhance the overall look, plain colours such as? graduated shades such as? and where do you get them from.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Hi all,
Well its been few weeks and the fallen wilderness was definitely getting a bit wilder and needed a really good pruning. So today I finally got stuck in and pruned it. I think it was worth the effort, here are a few pictures after the trim.

120_2090.jpg

Some of the roots are really starting to find the Tropica Aquasoil now and I think it really makes a difference.

120_2092.jpg

120_2093.jpg

I have sort of let the Riccia do its own thing as you can see

120_2096.jpg

120_2098.jpg

Some really dense growth here

120_2099.jpg

120_2100.jpg

121_2102.jpg

I'm surprised that the Crypts have not gone ballistic yet, but they did take a bit of a fall during the rescape so I suppose I can not complain. Space in the corner, any suggestions? Or should I just let the Crypts fill out that space?

121_2103-1.jpg

121_2104-1.jpg

Next Time I hope to have changed the backdrop to a lighter colour, some kind of shaded - graded plain background.

My 30 Ember Tetras are doing really well and I have got lots of baby Armano Shrimp larvae hopping about amongst the Tenellus. They won't last though, never seem to last for more than a week or two.

I have got a bag full of Tennellus and Riccia.

Cheers,

Steve

Sorry to disappoint you but there are no Amano shrimp larvae in the foreground, Amano shrimp have a brackish water larval stage and will not produce live larva in freshwater tanks, no matter how good the water quality.
That aside I love the tank, I just wish I liked Riccia, for me it's the only thing that lets this tank down.

Back