faulty co2 regulator?

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by Garuf, 7 Feb 2010.

1. Garuf

Garuf Member

Yes I'd say its' faulty.
    I'd also suggest that you are vastly under dosing on your co2, do you run a drop checker?

2. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

1 bubble per second is a good starting point for 100 litres. Better to underdose CO2 than overdose if there's fish/inverts present.

There are so many variables to consider when calculating bubble rate. For instance in my old 125 litre I used to have 1 bubble every 2 seconds, but the bubbles were relatively big from a Dennerle bubble counter.

As suggested a drop checker is a good idea. Check out this link -

http://www.ukaps.org/drop-checker.htm

Failing that you can make an approximate CO2 calculation using the pH/KH charts. These aren't accurate due to other influencing factors on pH other than carbonic acid but it's better than nothing.

If you have low-moderate lighting then getting 30ppm CO2, as recommended by many is not essential.

3. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

Are the co2 bubbles constant even after one hour of the solenoid valve switching off, the reason for asking is that after the solenoid switches off and residual gas between the valve / diffuser or reactor (what ever you are using to emit the gas into your tank) will still be emit until the gas pressure reach atmospheric pressure - the pressure in that line could be between 1.5 - 2.5 bar. It does not take long for the co2 to stop say between 5 - 10 mins, if you still have gas being emit into the tank after 30 mins I would say the solenoid valve is faulty. There is a little test that you can carry out to check whether the valve is working correctly - have a read at the attached thread shortcut - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9692

Hope this helps
    Regards
    paul.

4. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

The solenoid valve is faulty then.

Regards
    Paul.