• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Favourite fish

Neon tetra is the fish that made me an aquarist.

Anything small and brown usually gets a hard look at, twig cats, otos, least killis, sticklebacks, Corydoras…

Feisty tetras like Buenos Aries or phantoms…

Endlers and guppies for their bottomless stupidity that makes them so charming…

If I could only have one species green or wild neons would be the one.

Crenicichla compressiceps, you get the character of a giant pike cichlid in a three inch dwarf. They’re extremely curious and always examining their habitat. Only down side is I’ve never had one that doesn’t want to bite chunks out of larger fish. May be a case they’re better with smaller faster moving fish.

Cheers

Apistogramma!

Specifically for me Apistogramma Macmasteri, cos I haven't kept any other species yet. They're beautiful, the male and female looking completely different but both very striking and colourful, they're super intelligent and very curious always interacting with their environment and eachother (which also makes them really funny). They pose for me at the glass to ask for food and have the most interesting courting and breeding behaviours which happen all the time, and while they chase away other fish when breeding they've never hurt the other fish either. Absolute stars of the tank. I only have a pair in a 180L and although they're small they've got enough personality and beauty that it fills the tank and I don't need any other "big" fish in there to compete. . Also you can keep them happily in a 60L which is great too. They do each shrimps which is a downside, but at the same time the way they hunt them is really interesting too, they kinda remind me of cats.

xxxpxl_20210926_1501468042-jpg.174755

Last edited:
My favourite highly depends on the scape and how it matures... Thus first scape, then grow it in, then see what fish would like it from there I add what suites the best from their health and well-being perspective.

For short any but healthy and happy. :)

For now, I don't have room for tanks much larger than about 150 litres or 1 metre long. My philosophy is a fish should at least be able to swim his on body length >15x from left to right and 10x front to back up and down. Thus anything larger than 3 to 4 cm is cramped up, out of perspective and can't be happy in the mentioned dimensions. Not sure if I'm right, it's hard to judge true happiness in fish but it looks and feels best for me personally. :thumbup:

Various colors of Neocaridina davidi's... Joking aside, for planted community tanks my all time favorites must be Cardinal Tetras, closely followed by Blue & Golden Rams.

Don't really have a favourite. I have really enjoyed all fish I have owned at various points in my life. Currently really enjoying my Borellii Opal. In fact I love them. Simply brilliant to watch. Took 3 months to get hold of them. My local store thought they would be easy to obtain. He nearly gave up on them.
Endlers would be very high up on my list along with Bristlenose catfish and hillstream loach.

Back