• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Favourite Public Aquariums

TBRO

Hey,

Not sure if this topic has been done before. I always try and visit the aquarium if I visit the city. Was wondering what other peoples favourites were?

costaricachicago393.jpg

U.K - no 1 = Hull, The Deep - Really cool Marine pond and super massive big tank featuring huge ragged tooth sharks.

International - no 1 = Chicago, Shedd Aquarium - Really nice displays, fish all looked healthy. Awsome amazon biotopes with real plants and anacondas! I don't normally like seeing mammals in aquariums but the dolphin enclosure is vast and not coloured blue like a swimming pool, they seemed happy and can hide from the crowds if they want.
no 2 = Vienna, 2 really nice aquariums in this city - "House of the Sea" - in an old air raid bunker, the best planted tanks I've seen in public aquariums, lots of breeding shrimp. "Imperial Zoo" - Massive living reef display Coral growing like crazy, big shoals of anthias, like a slice of Red Sea.

I've had the miss-fortune to visit some bad ones too....

I think Monteray Bay would be top of my "to see list" - Oh well

Yeah I quite like the massive amazonian fish thet have, although the huge arapiama seems to have gone. It had a head that looks like it's made of cast bronze!

Oceanarium in Lisbon.

I've only been to the deep to compare it to but there is no competition. The Deep was pretty disappointing after seeing Lisbons before. And more expensive to boot :)

AC

Nice, I'll put it on the "to visit list"

T

I quite liked St Malo's aquarium. In Saint Malo in Normandy, France. I went there about 7 years ago so it has probably improved a lot!

Im going to the London Aquarium soon, anyone been there and is it good?

fishkeeper said:
Im going to the London Aquarium soon, anyone been there and is it good?
Been there a few times and thought it was amazing until I visited Oceanario in Lisbon and that blew it away haha Its still a good visit, but I haven't been there in about 6 years, not sure if it has improved.

Went to london in Febuary, was a little dissapointing because lots of areas were closed for maintainance - might be worth checking before you go.#

T

Back