• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I have a question -

I read that with hard water and high ph it is better to use DTPA Iron (rather than (EDTA).

Anyone know what brands of trace ferts use this form of iron?

Alternatively best source to make my own?

Cheers.

I have a question -

I read that with hard water and high ph it is better to use DTPA Iron (rather than (EDTA).

Anyone know what brands of trace ferts use this form of iron?

Alternatively best source to make my own?

Cheers.

Hey Steve

I think the only all in one trace with DTPA is Easy Life Profito (as far as I know). I'm yet to find a trace powder with DTPA either.

What I've been doing is adding DTPA iron into my trace mix. I bought it off eBay as a 50g bag.

Oscar

e29a11733bf8ab69123ecbe582588883.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Brilliant, just ordered a couple.

Currently use tnc trace.

How much do you add When mixing the dry ferts? Did you notice a difference?

Currently I'm adding 0.75tsp DTPA and 0.5tsp trace mix (APFuk trace) to 250ml RO water. I also add 10ml vinegar to keep the pH down.

This is dosed at 4ml per 25L tank water.

I'd say a dose of 1ppm iron DTPA on top of the TNC would be fine. You could use rotalabutterfly to calculate it.

Oscar

Last edited:
chosen trace fertilise

Best way would be to have a lot of experience in this field and make factory custom mix. How ever this is not possible for hobbyists due costs.

Have you come across a company called Solufeed? They supply chelated chemicals for folia feeds and hydroponic use. I use Fe13EDTA (£12.50 per 1Kg) and the other now called TEC which is Fe and Trace elements (£13.80 per 1Kg). I use Fe13 EDTA and the older version of TEC called TEMag. They also have other products.

All you need is a digital balance (cheap from eBay) and empty drinks bottles. I use old 5litre bleach bottles painted black. EDTA is photo degraded. The larger the volume you make the smaller the error from weighing and measuring. Best not to use tap water, use RO or be like me and use rain water. For longer shelf life add a little KHSO4 to lower the pH. The analysis is on the packet/s and its a matter of ratios and what volume you wish to add to your tank. I prefer a dilute solution and use it as make up water to replace evaporation losses.

Obviously depends on the volume of you tank, small tank not worth the hassle, large tank and in the hobby for life then it is.

Have you come across a company called Solufeed? They supply chelated chemicals for folia feeds and hydroponic use. I use Fe13EDTA (£12.50 per 1Kg) and the other now called TEC which is Fe and Trace elements (£13.80 per 1Kg). I use Fe13 EDTA and the older version of TEC called TEMag. They also have other products.

All you need is a digital balance (cheap from eBay) and empty drinks bottles. I use old 5litre bleach bottles painted black. EDTA is photo degraded. The larger the volume you make the smaller the error from weighing and measuring. Best not to use tap water, use RO or be like me and use rain water. For longer shelf life add a little KHSO4 to lower the pH. The analysis is on the packet/s and its a matter of ratios and what volume you wish to add to your tank. I prefer a dilute solution and use it as make up water to replace evaporation losses.

Obviously depends on the volume of you tank, small tank not worth the hassle, large tank and in the hobby for life then it is.

I believe APF UK's trace mix is Solufeed B. I've used it but prefer something chelated with DTPA. It would work well with softer water but the iron becomes unavailable with my high pH.

I've switched to using Easy Life's Profito because it uses multiple chelating agents.

Oscar :)

I use Fe13 EDTA and the older version of TEC called TEMag

I have been looking at the Solufeed TEC and :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: it compares very well to APFUK trace

Did the maths from the composition and heres the comparison with

upload_2020-5-2_13-27-30.png

spot the difference :eek:

Back