• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

FE use by ?

2pods

I have a chance to refill all five of my 2kg FE's and my Aquamas Bottle at once. There is nowhere local, and I usually have no transport, so this would be a one off, as I'm getting a lift.

Considering a 2kg FE wil last me anywhere between three to six months, how long would the "shelf life" be for the rest of the FEs ? Would the gas liquidise or anything ? Also, I assume being stored in an outside shed would be a no no, so I would have to keep the filled bottles indoors ?

I'm useless at chemistry (apart from tank chemistry), so be gentle ;)

TIA

Superman said:
I manage to get mine refilled at a local fire safety company, have you looked for those?

That's where I'm taking them.
It's just not that local.

I don't drive, so I thought I'd get the lot filled while I had a chance.

Hi 2pods
I have to agree with Superman that they should be OK for a good while.
My reasoning is this.
Where I work, a man comes to inspect all our fire extinguishers 6 monthly. All I've seen him do with the CO2 ones is weigh them, and if they're OK he signs the labels on them and they're good for another 6 months. We have CO2 extinguishers on our site that have been unused for 2-3 years still hanging on the wall, ready to use.
Hope that helps.

Chris.

Thanks guys.

I can go back to worrying about where I'm going to keep them now :lol:

I'd have to agree with the others. FE's get regular inspections but the don't get replaced that often.

Surely you can ask at the company that you are getting them refilled at? As they are a fire safety company they will know the regulations regards to FEs.

2pods said:
I have a chance to refill all five of my 2kg FE's and my Aquamas Bottle at once. There is nowhere local, and I usually have no transport, so this would be a one off, as I'm getting a lift.

Considering a 2kg FE wil last me anywhere between three to six months, how long would the "shelf life" be for the rest of the FEs ? Would the gas liquidise or anything ? Also, I assume being stored in an outside shed would be a no no, so I would have to keep the filled bottles indoors ?

I'm useless at chemistry (apart from tank chemistry), so be gentle ;)

TIA
The shelf life of the compound Carbon Dioxide is infinite. As with any industrial gas it is already stored in liquid form while it is in the cylinder. This is the only way these small volumes can store enough mass of the the compound to be of any practical use. Based on the design of the valve, and as a result of the severe pressure drop from bottle pressure to ambient pressure the liquid vaporizes when released. Some cylinder valve designs, such as those used in piping repair, allow the liquid to emerge as a liquid. That's why if you are purchasing from an industrial supplier such as the BOC you should specify that you require a vapor cylinder.

CO2 is not an organic compound therefore there is no need to worry about spoilage or degradation. The only reason a CO2 Fire Extinguisher would fail an inspection is if the inspector suspect a leakage (which would be indicated by a cylinder pressure loss) or if he/she observes damage to the valve or cylinder. Corrosion, for example, might be cause for rejection.

The cylinders can be kept anywhere you like, however common sense should dictate that they be kept in a cool dry place to help preclude environmental or accidental damage to cylinder or valve.

Cheers,

Thanks very much for your very clear reply.
This was what I wanted to know. I'm keeping it as a reference.

Maybe there could be a sticky on C02 bottle, FE, care etc, ?
Would it be OK to keep the filled FEs in an outside hut in winter ?

Hi 2pods
2pods said:
Would it be OK to keep the filled FEs in an outside hut in winter ?
You probably would be OK providing you can keep them dry and can prevent any dampness causing damage to the valve or bottle.
Personally I keep my spare indoors, but then I've only got one spare. Don't know where I'd stash 5 though :lol:

Chris

Back