• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Feedback on Forum Upgrade

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hi everyone, this is basically a follow up from the forum upgrade: New look ukaps forum and website | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Now that most have had a chance to play around for a few weeks what are your views or critiques regarding the new layout?

Anything you find is missing from the previous version? Would be nice to ear from members even if there isn't anything wrong with it. Thanks :)

Great so far from me, haven't used the extras much to be honest just the standard features that were with the old forum. Cheers for providing a great community.

Well i'm getting used to it more now, I can't seem to find the thing where it shows threads you posted on recently. Also the PM system was annoying at first as messages before the change over now appear seperate so looking for one particular message you sent is a PITA. Now I am using the new version more I find the conversation system is a lot better though. Although the new look is more modern and clinical it is a lot more complicated to navigate for me personally, but I suppose its just something you will get used to over time.
Overall if there was a feautre in alert preferences that alerts you when threads you post on get updated it would be perfect. Mabey there is a feature that does this and I haven't found it yet ?

Well i'm getting used to it more now, I can't seem to find the thing where it shows threads you posted on recently. Also the PM system was annoying at first as messages before the change over now appear seperate so looking for one particular message you sent is a PITA. Now I am using the new version more I find the conversation system is a lot better though. Although the new look is more modern and clinical it is a lot more complicated to navigate for me personally, but I suppose its just something you will get used to over time.
Overall if there was a feautre in alert preferences that alerts you when threads you post on get updated it would be perfect. Mabey there is a feature that does this and I haven't found it yet ?
Hi,
in your alert preferences you can select to be notified by email for updates on watched threads...but you have to watch them first.
cheerio,
Ady.

Hi, in your alert preferences you can select to be notified by email for updates on watched threads...but you have to watch them first. cheerio, Ady.
Yeah but in threads your not watching that your waiting for a reply unless they quote your post you don't get notified. Like in this thread, if you hadn't quoted my post I wouldn't have known there was a reply until I looked for the thread.

Yeah but in threads your not watching that your waiting for a reply unless they quote your post you don't get notified. Like in this thread, if you hadn't quoted my post I wouldn't have known there was a reply until I looked for the thread.
ah I see, we'll just watch those you want to be notified of? That way you'll get a notification of any reply.

Yeah I suppose i'll have to do that, but I still think what I mentioned above would be a good feauture to add.
There's also the 'whats new?' button at the top of the page which shows new posts, you could check this for a quick list of posts to see if the one your interested in has any updates. OR there's the 'New replies' feature at the right of the forums page, select that to show the latest replies......
but then that's not alerting you I suppose, so the best bet is to watch those you want notification on.

There's also the 'whats new?' button at the top of the page which shows new posts, you could check this for a quick list of posts to see if the one your interested in has any updates. OR there's the 'New replies' feature at the right of the forums page, select that to show the latest replies...... but then that's not alerting you I suppose, so the best bet is to watch those you want notification on
Cheers for pointing out the new replies feauture I'll use that, I never noticed it before :)

Hi everyone, this is basically a follow up from the forum upgrade: New look ukaps forum and website | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Now that most have had a chance to play around for a few weeks what are your views or critiques regarding the new layout?

Anything you find is missing from the previous version? Would be nice to ear from members even if there isn't anything wrong with it. Thanks :)
Awesome!

one little thing that bugs me slightly is that the mods/admin/experts are no longer highlighted in their key colours on the 'latest replies' lists, means we now have to read rather than look for beacons :watching:.......is there not a default so that their names are automatically generated in their key colour?

the positives far outweigh any negatives for me though, the new features are helpful and images appear larger and better quality which is great! The whole forum seems more social now with the alerts functions and links with Facebook twitter etc you dont miss anything, it's modern but still useable for techno dummies like myself!

I really like it, can't really say I'm missing anything or want to add anything, now I'm used to navigating my way round everything its really good :thumbup: a bit like going from windows 95 to windows 8 ;)

First of all have a look at this thread for navigation help: How to! - Navigate from the Main Menu | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Second if you want a alert to come up when someone replies to your threads, hover your mouse on the arrow after your nickname at the top right hand corner, and then select preferences.
From the Preferences now place a tick where it says "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply" that will alert you in the forum and not via email by default, if you want to receive emails for every reply you can also do that but then you will get loads of emails, alerting is what you are asking for,

capture1khs.png

Hope that helps! :)

one little thing that bugs me slightly is that the mods/admin/experts are no longer highlighted in their key colours on the 'latest replies' lists, means we now have to read rather than look for beacons .......is there not a default so that their names are automatically generated in their key colour?
I did have a look at this, but doesn't seem to be a straight change without messing up a lot of things, I don't see this as critical but I will keep looking to see if I can do something about it ;)

Many thanks for the feedback guys :)

All fine for me Paulo. I don't think anythings missing and there are some nice inprovements, just a case of getting used to some new terminology.:thumbup:

I did have a look at this, but doesn't seem to be a straight change without messing up a lot of things, I don't see this as critical but I will keep looking to see if I can do something about it ;)

Many thanks for the feedback guys :)
No prob Paulo, like you say not critical and we can read the names and know who they are by now!

All good paulo, i would still like to have subscribed threads as well as watched threads though... maybe we can but i havent found it yet?? Its a little annoying trying to hunt down threads you like in the litter of every thread you have posted on in 'watched'.

All good paulo, i would still like to have subscribed threads as well as watched threads though... maybe we can but i havent found it yet?? Its a little annoying trying to hunt down threads you like in the litter of every thread you have posted on in 'watched'.
Refer to the image I posted above, subscribed is just the first option which will create an Alert when you log in, watched is the second option which will also send you an email ;) If you tick the first option by default then you get alerts when you login next.

Paulo, I know before the upgrade, changing topic attributes was not possible by tapatalk, but is there a way you could do this with the new forum?

Just makes marking sale threads as 'Sold' easier.

Cheers, oh, Forum is absolutely top notch by the way. You've worked wonders :)

Paulo, I know before the upgrade, changing topic attributes was not possible by tapatalk, but is there a way you could do this with the new forum?
That is not a forum issue, its tapatalk themselves that do not take the prefixes into account, would be nice if they did.

Thanks for the feeback :)

Back