• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Feeding Repashy

BarryH

A couple of videos I've watched mention spreading Repashy on rocks for Ottos to feed on. Can anyone advise how to do this please? If I try to add it to rocks once it has set, the cubes just break apart and I wondered if there was a way I could spread it before it sets.

Never thought, but I would probably better off if I had a couple of separate rocks I could use just for Repashy. Pour it on as you say, let it cool and then put them in the tanks.

Just as a heads up, with my first attempt at rocks, the gel just floated off so I think the rocks were too smooth. There is another thread going here by @Ajm200 ’the otto’s have finally found the Repashy’ where they are using bits of dragon stone but I think anything with a bit of texture will help.

Feeding rocks is for sure the way forward I think. I just dipped mine into the warm gel but you have to be quick and it’s a bit messy. 😊

I'm trying something I found on youtube, namely to add agar agar into the mix. Since its entirely plant based (made out of seaweed) and works kind of like gelatine it seemed like a good solution. This makes it into more solid cubes you can place in the tank without it blowing all over the place instantly. Its in my tank currently, for like 5 mins now, still solid, and am awaiting to see my sewelias response to it. The wcm in the same tank are eating small bits from it, but they werent the intended recipients :) will let you know if this works!

Just as a heads up, with my first attempt at rocks, the gel just floated off so I think the rocks were too smooth. There is another thread going here by @Ajm200 ’the otto’s have finally found the Repashy’ where they are using bits of dragon stone but I think anything with a bit of texture will help.

Feeding rocks is for sure the way forward I think. I just dipped mine into the warm gel but you have to be quick and it’s a bit messy. 😊
Using dipped cholla wood in the shrimp tank today. Shrimps found it and it is less accessible to the snails as the food finds it way into all the little holes

Last edited:
I'm trying something I found on youtube, namely to add agar agar into the mix. Since its entirely plant based (made out of seaweed) and works kind of like gelatine it seemed like a good solution. This makes it into more solid cubes you can place in the tank without it blowing all over the place instantly. Its in my tank currently, for like 5 mins now, still solid, and am awaiting to see my sewelias response to it. The wcm in the same tank are eating small bits from it, but they werent the intended recipients :) will let you know if this works!
So I put some in a glass tray in my main tank, and that was a failure. I mean, all the fish love it but it was turned into a huge mess when gouramis and a swarm of embers attacked it. The intended targets, ottos and pygmies, hover around and eat the leftovers that land on nearby plants and rocks, so they are getting some at least, but the jelly still didnt add enough consistency. Putting it in a glass container helps keep most of the mess in one place though, there is that at least. In the other tank with the sewelias its mixxed results. Its still a cubelike shape but its slowly desintegrating. The sewelias havent eaten from the cube itself, but they eat around it, small bits that fall off. They keep chasing eachother away though so no real 'this is the solution'. I've got another batch prepped in which I used even more agar agar to see if that helps keeping it together more. I'll test that in a few days and update here.

So I put some in a glass tray in my main tank, and that was a failure. I mean, all the fish love it but it was turned into a huge mess when gouramis and a swarm of embers attacked it. The intended targets, ottos and pygmies, hover around and eat the leftovers that land on nearby plants and rocks, so they are getting some at least, but the jelly still didnt add enough consistency. Putting it in a glass container helps keep most of the mess in one place though, there is that at least. In the other tank with the sewelias its mixxed results. Its still a cubelike shape but its slowly desintegrating. The sewelias havent eaten from the cube itself, but they eat around it, small bits that fall off. They keep chasing eachother away though so no real 'this is the solution'. I've got another batch prepped in which I used even more agar agar to see if that helps keeping it together more. I'll test that in a few days and update here.
I use a 1 to 2 mix of powder and water. Squeezing some through a garlic press made ‘worms’ for the tetras to chase. Feeding them first helps as they aren’t swarming the food on rocks and wood. You need a rough surface. Rough rocks, wood, the back of a ceramic tile terracotta plant weight that been sand papered. Something smooth like glass has nothing for it to bind to

I push the set repashy off the spoon with no effort at all. It really doesn’t bind onto smooth surfaces well

Last edited:
I use a 1 to 2 mix of powder and water. Squeezing some through a garlic press made ‘worms’ for the tetras to chase. Feeding them first helps as they aren’t swarming the food on rocks and wood. You need a rough surface. Rough rocks, wood, the back of a ceramic tile terracotta plant weight that been sand papered. Something smooth like glass has nothing for it to bind to

I push the set repashy off the spoon with no effort at all. It really doesn’t bind onto smooth surfaces well
Yeah, thats why I'm trying the jelly approach, I've tried rocks smooth and rough but neither really holds well enough to prevent it from becoming a cloud in a few minutes :p I'm using a repashy alternative btw, but its the same idea, mixxing powder and water to make a paste/gel. The agar agar ought to make it a stronger jelly/paste, and it does that, just not enough quite yet.

Back