• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Felix smart aquarium controller, exciting prospect...

Indiegogo doesn't work with IE, so but of a poo if you are at work...

Hmmm not convinced at all now, I think $30,000 (of which they have only $7,300) is way way not enough, especially as they are writing software on both the unit and phone. Most of the crowdfunded failures I see, are due to completely underestimating the software costs, which can be as high as 80% of the costs when the project collapses. :(.

I get involved in many commercial projects, customer goes "oh its just a bit of hardware, look I added up the parts cost and it works out only £100 and we just add a bit of software, job done". Well the parts ended up being nearer £250 (custom case, custom PCB, wiring loom etc) and software ended up coming in at over £25,000 (or more) of a commercial programmer for 6 months.

I wait to be proved wrong. These IoT things, done properly, are complicated and never as cheap and quick as people estimate.

It is interesting...

But, I just purchased a smart power strip, has 4 outlets, individually controlled, works via IOT apps, schedules everything, can work with Alexa and Google home, and paid about £30.

What more would Felix give me to justify the price?

Looking forward to view the full specs.
Hi harry, I'm looking for a couple of smart power strips, mind if I ask what you got and if you're happy with it?

Hmmm not convinced at all now, I think $30,000 (of which they have only $7,300) is way way not enough, especially as they are writing software on both the unit and phone. Most of the crowdfunded failures I see, are due to completely underestimating the software costs, which can be as high as 80% of the costs when the project collapses. :(.

I get involved in many commercial projects, customer goes "oh its just a bit of hardware, look I added up the parts cost and it works out only £100 and we just add a bit of software, job done". Well the parts ended up being nearer £250 (custom case, custom PCB, wiring loom etc) and software ended up coming in at over £25,000 (or more) of a commercial programmer for 6 months.

I wait to be proved wrong. These IoT things, done properly, are complicated and never as cheap and quick as people estimate.
Ian, you could be right, any new product (particularly software driven) at this stage has a lot of hurdles to jump, but I decided to take a punt anyway. It's got the right people behind it, the design's sleek and they know how to go to market with some style. I'd love to see it succeed and if it does deliver on the promise, I reckon it will be pretty bloody awesome, good luck to them! :)

I'm fairly confidential this has been thought through well, I know it's been planned for a long time prior to now, Esta is no stranger to big business.

Also crowd funding isnt always the full investment into product just a good way to launch a product with reduced risk.... it's used as another business strategy tool quite often.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Personally I think it's a great idea, had it been around a few years back I would certainly buy one but given I've spent a small fortune on my fully programmable giesemann light unit a large part of the benefit would be lost. If it turns out it will sync with my lights off the shelf then I'm in as the giessman control app sucks balls, especially on mobile.

I am still considering it as i like a few of the other features. In particular it would be a fairly cheap failsafe for inline heaters that have a habit of cooking tanks!

£50 to fully automate a set up with simple dimmable lighting like twinstar seems a very interesting proposition...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I understand the main guy behind it is quite a big deal in the industry and is also behind a brand that you all will know. This is his 4th Kickstarter product. Software has been approved by Arrow.

Yes bit of a gamble but Should be good in theory, if you have need for an app to control electronics that is.

How much would the full project cost? $100k or 150k? or so. They may have other sources of funding also. Indigogo could be a way of gauging interest perhaps?

Sounds interesting, but as been said it all depends on the units functions really. If it can control your light unit sunrise sunset intensity timings yes sounds great. If it's just on off function not so good.
There is mention of a ph probe? Is this just for monitoring or could it be used to turn your co2 off if the ph drops below a set point and save your livestock from being gassed?
Can the unit be used for temp control with a probe?
To many unanswered questions at the min to make a judgement one way or the other or make a pre order I would say.

Anyone heard any more about this ? Looks like June/July 2019 availability.

I bought this smart powerstrip for my Planted aquarium.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5516_HS300.html

I use GHL profilux system on my Saltwater tanks but the planted tank would require me running a cat 5 cable under the house and just didn't feel it was needed. The smart power strips do a lot now days.

That looks like a realy nice device.. :)

Question? The Sunrise feature?
https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-2328.html

Does this function via 1 choosen plug outlet on regular dimmable AC powered bulbs?

Or does it require the Kasa Smart bulbs?
https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/KB100.html

:)

I haven’t tried that and it’s not something I would ever do. Sort of like the lighting and storm function on lights. Feel like I am at Disney land

Never mind anyway.. It's yet not for me.. I see it doesn't come with an EU plug version.. Only thing i can find is US and UK plug.. :)
But it's indeed a very interesting powerstrip.. :thumbup:

Never mind anyway.. It's yet not for me.. I see it doesn't come with an EU plug version.. Only thing i can find is US and UK plug.. :)
But it's indeed a very interesting powerstrip.. :thumbup:
I can't find a UK version anywhere. The one on Amazon UK seems to at US voltages and is also £185 which is outrageous. Where did you find one with a UK plug please.

Stu

I can't find a UK version anywhere. The one on Amazon UK seems to at US voltages and is also £185 which is outrageous. Where did you find one with a UK plug please.

Stu

Sorry i didn't notice the voltage specs, i saw UK and a plug i can't use and didn't look any further. It might been Amazon.

I would look up smart WiFi power strip. As I am in the states we see a lot of this type of equipment pushed for those that are techie. With the different voltage standards in the EU it can be hard getting this kind of tech I bet. I heard Apex still hasn't gotten a power strip based on their new controller in the UK yet.

I would look up smart WiFi power strip. As I am in the states we see a lot of this type of equipment pushed for those that are techie. With the different voltage standards in the EU it can be hard getting this kind of tech I bet. I heard Apex still hasn't gotten a power strip based on their new controller in the UK yet.
Thanks I will

Yes thanks i see we have DLink, something simmular. There are a few more if you search for WIFI controled power strips. Indeed something to keep an eye on it's development. Personaly i would prefer one with a scheduled dim function for lights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Stri...h=item33fbf4c6ee:g:EygAAOSw-ghcBq87:rk:7:pf:0

And Multiplug/uniplug
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BroadLink-...h=item4b2731f2f3:g:AvwAAOSwujBZyJcu:rk:2:pf:0

Back