• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fertiliser dosing in a shrimp tank

@Hufsa

I apologise for going a little off topic here, but I emailed the seller and they said that they had sent me a random mix of blue dream and blue carbon rili, and that the picture in this thread is of a high grade blue carbon rili. This is despite the ad saying blue dream. The seller said that other people were pleasantly surprised to get the mix of carbon rili and blue dream; I feel it is more that they do not know enough to question it.

I still do not think that is a high grade rili, nor do I think the others that are more passable are high grade and I lose complete faith if someone does not do what they say they are going to do in an ad.

The seller now wishes that I return the shrimp that I don't want for a refund...I don't really fancy tearing a tank to pieces and spending hours sorting out shrimp for £40 when it's not my fault in the first place, so I will message eBay and see what they have to say.

...they had sent me a random mix of blue dream and blue carbon rili ... The seller said that other people were pleasantly surprised to get the mix of carbon rili and blue dream...

The seller now wishes that I return the shrimp that I don't want for a refund...

Oh wow that sure is.. uhh.. something :oops:

Its like I bought a basket of apples online, and got a basket of half the apples I ordered along with a bunch of oranges. I didnt want oranges, if I wanted oranges I would have bought a basket of oranges. The seller then has the nerve to get snippy about it when im not thankful for the oranges.

Take it to ebay for sure. Id say its lucky that it was not just a private sale but went through ebay, I reckon they should take your side.

@dw1305

Hi Darrel. Does this look like potassium or iron deficiency to you?

Attachments

• 20200628_143501.jpg
    20200628_143501.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
Hi all,
Does this look like potassium or iron deficiency to you?
One out of nitrogen (N), potassium (K) or magnesium (Mg), probably in that order, because plants need more nitrogen than potassium etc. The new leaves look healthy, so the plant is moving the nutrient (or nutrients) that are in short supply to the newer leaves. The mobile nutrients include the three mentioned.

I'd pinch off the yellow leaves before I added the fertiliser. You could try adding some more potassium nitrate (KNO3) and Epsom salts (Mg)S4.7H2O), or you could just add a bit more of the fertiliser you use.

If it was iron (Fe), it isn't at the moment, because the new leaves look healthy. Iron isn't mobile within the plant, so deficiencies affect newer leaves. If the plant was iron deficient in the past it wouldn't be able to move iron to the older leaves and they would remain yellow. I don't think it is the residue of iron deficiency, because the yellow leaves look intact and you tend to <"get holes in the leaves"> when you have iron issues.

cheers Darrel

Great answer, thanks Darrel.

I have potassium phosphate on its own. So I will add my usual NPK mix (KNO3/KPO4/MgSO4) and an extra 2ppm of K2SO4 for a week or two and see how things go! If that doesn't solve the problem I will up the NPK mix.

PS, this is a different tank to the one at the beginning of the thread. This one has its own unique problems :)

Great answer, thanks Darrel.

I have potassium phosphate on its own. So I will add my usual NPK mix (KNO3/KPO4/MgSO4) and an extra 2ppm of K2SO4 for a week or two and see how things go! If that doesn't solve the problem I will up the NPK mix.

PS, this is a different tank to the one at the beginning of the thread. This one has its own unique problems :)

2pmm K really isn't very much. Probably not enough to make a difference. I think you could up this to an extra 6ppm K with no risk at all, and maybe more chance of making a difference.

That said, I would just go from 30% EI up to 50% EI and see where that takes you.

Yes, they've been there a few months. They were doing better until recently i segregated the tank for shrimp (using sponge) and I think that has lowered the agititation in the water as the roots now appear quite dirty, whereas before they were very clean. I've upped to 50% EI as well. See where that takes us!

Hi all,
They were doing better until recently i segregated the tank for shrimp (using sponge) and I think that has lowered the agititation in the water as the roots now appear quite dirty, whereas before they were very clean. I've upped to 50% EI as well.
I'll be interested in what happens. My guess would be that they will perk up again with a few more nutrients.

<"Second guessing nutrient deficiencies"> is always difficult, just because of the <"multifactorial, assembly line, nature of plant growth">.

cheers Darrel

We will see :) In my 45l shrimp tank they perked up almost immediately by upping the NPK and trace to 30% EI. The bigger tank was already at 30%, but i've upped it to 50% now.

Also trimmed the roots. They looked dirty because there was bits of rotting root in there (they were perfectly clean before i segregated the tank 2 weeks ago) so i've also added some flow in the form of an airstone to that part of the tank.

Will keep you all posted and appreciate the help!

Back