• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fertilising carnivorous plants

Nont

Hi guys,

I’m curious to know if there are any benefits to fertilising Utricularia, aldrovanda and other carnivorous plants in general?

Like a lot of what's entrenched in traditional knowledge and belief, it's not always necessarily true. Carnivorous plants have evolved to live in nutrient poor soils, especially those low in nitrogen. They are capable of deriving most or some nutrients from trapping insects etc. But just because they can doesn't necessarily mean it's the only route of nutrient acquisition, or for that matter the prefered one.

For example, Dionaea muscipula is often considered difficult to grow, but it's not really. It's a classic example of the mistaken idea that carnivorous plants should not be fed fertiliser if they are to remain healthy.

I fed mine regularly with weak fertz solution and it thrived. Whatismore, it flowered almost continuously. The conventional wisdom is to cut the flower stalks off before they have chance to flower otherwise the plant will die of exhaustion, and without the addition of fertz it probably would. Also what really made a difference to the plants health was to keep it under a light for 12 hours a day. They don't do so well during winter otherwise and many wither away.

Further in the case of Dionaea muscipula, at least, they often will not digest dead insects since the process is activated by ongoing stimulation of the trigger hairs over several hours.

Last edited:
Like a lot of what's entrenched in traditional knowledge and belief, it's not always necessarily true. Carnivorous plants have evolved to live in nutrient poor soils, especially those low in nitrogen. They are capable of deriving most or some nutrients from trapping insects etc. But just because they can doesn't necessarily mean it's the only route of nutrient acquisition, or for that matter the prefered one.
Out of curiosity, do they prefer one nutrient more than others? I’ve seen Green aqua and @CooKieS dose Potassium daily when it comes to Utricularia only tank.

I fed my Dionaea muscipula a weak solution of TNC Complete, so that's pretty much everything, NPK and micros.
With regards Utricularia @Geoffrey Rea would be the best person to ask.
If you haven't already read his UG journal you'll probably find it very helpful.

Back