• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fill alarm

Kevin Eades

Does anyone use a tank fill level alarm they can recommend. I got distracted with the filter the other day and flooded the dining room. Good job I was in the cupboard and it rained on my head so I could react instantly. With 3 tanks I'm constantly loosing focus on the fill and just catching it in time. I need a solution or the other half won't let me setup a big tank in my office upstairs. 😒

I would time how long it takes to fill each tank and then set countdown timers on your phone to sound the alarm 5mins before it finishes filling each one. Then you can safely do other tasks without the risk of overfilling.

I would time how long it takes to fill each tank and then set countdown timers on your phone to sound the alarm 5mins before it finishes filling each one. Then you can safely do other tasks without the risk of overfilling.
I've done the timer but I can't always be relied on in the last few minutes i knew it was nearly full so I plugged the filter in. I'd just done the pipes and everything. So I needed to adjust the co2 and etc in the last 5 minutes it got me. It wasn't bad one towel caught most of it. Bit rightly so I'm banded from having something upstairs over the new plastered ceilings until I can prove it won't happen again.
If I were you I would fashion up some over the edge of the tank ballcock arrangement. Would be a cheap and easy thing to do with existing toilet cistern/water tank parts
That was something I had not considered. As I use gravity to fill the tank. (Bucket in bath and long hose sometimes I plug the pump in if I'm in a hurry) this could work great 👍

You can find some smaller floater switches on eBay etc. for a few bucks.. In a plastic or stainless steel, with this, you could switch an electric relay on a (water)valve or pump... But note the switches require regular maintenance or might get stuck one day with salts build up.

If you fill with a pump that a return valve in the hose would be required or else it will syphon back if the pump shuts off.

If you are sure you are definitively going to hear it a buzzer might do... :)

Water out , Water in Water Out Water In - As Mr Miyagi would say :)

Just place a mark on your tank as to the water level once you have removed and then measured the volume of the old water and do the same measurements on your fill containers so there is no way you can overflow.

Do our weekly water change that way, but on a pumped fill and it always works fine, letting the auto top up do the last bit if we a little low.

Back