• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter airlocked, which diffuser?

oldbloke

Due to the fact that I cannot seem to get a nice fine mist from any of my diffusers, I placed them under my Tetratec filter intakes. When I checked my tanks this morning, one of them had no flow but the pump was still running. The water in the filter was quite warm. I took it apart to make sure it wasn't blocked but all was ok. I'm pretty sure it was CO2 locked.

I have one of these http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/neutro-100-glass-co2-diffuser-p-646.html, one of these UP Internal Super CO2 Atomizer (G-024-L) Atomic Diffuser Reactor | eBay, which my regs won't provide enough pressure for, and one of these http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/tmc-aquagro-compact-co2-diffuser-20mm-p-5010.html.

Where am I going wrong with them?

Cheers.

9935960494_eac2a808e1_c.jpg
IMG_5364 by threequartersky, on Flickr

Owning too many diffusers I'd say Bertie:) no joking aside, do you get fine bubbles when its not placed under the flow?have you been soaking them before use and upping the pressure slowly?

One possibility is that the filter throughput is too low. You could try removing some of the media to improve flow rate.

Cheers,

One possibility is that the filter throughput is too low. You could try removing some of the media to improve flow rate.

Cheers,

No mate, the flow rate is fine.
It's hard to say whats going on inside the filter cos you can't see, of course, but I think it's very possible that all the bubbles could join together to form a big one, then when that goes into the impeller.....
I guess it would be better if it was a fine mist going in.

I would think you are right but, as Ceg says removing some of the filter media will give a faster & easier route for the C02 & that might avoid the build up of gas?
Personally I really am not a fan of this method however it does seem to work very well if you can get it right!

Back