• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter and lightning for a 45 cm/1,5' tank

JEK

Hi!

I've been without aquarium for nearly a year now, which is very hard to endure. :D
My dream setup would be a 60 cm ADA style setup, but it will take a long time before I can afford that...

So I'm thinking of getting a 45x30x30 cm/1.5'x1'x1' tank. I think that would be a rather nice size because its big enough for some small fishes, yet it's still so small that it can be placed on for example a sturdy table or a chest of drawers.

Also I've seen some very nice 'scapes made in this size (almost) tank in the AGA contest: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... ol=0&id=42

But when it comes to the lighting and filtering of the tank I need some help.

I would like to be able to grow glosso and other light-demanding plants so the lighting should be rather powerful. It's also very important to me that the lighting unit looks good and since I'm on a budget, it should not be too expensive.

When it comes to the filter I' m split between a small canister filter or a HOB filter. It would like it to be so discreete as possible since it will not be hidden in a stand.

Suggestions are very welcome!

ps. Sorry for my bad english, hope it's possible to understand.;)

My first tank was this size. From experience I wouldn't use anything more than a 24w power compact or a pair of 18w clip on lights. I used a 36w power compact and could grow anything but could grow algae much better.

filter wise I'd go for something like a ex700, I used a 2224 and found it a bit gutless but the ex range have more guts and should be more suitable.

Garuf said:
My first tank was this size. From experience I wouldn't use anything more than a 24w power compact or a pair of 18w clip on lights. I used a 36w power compact and could grow anything but could grow algae much better.

filter wise I'd go for something like a ex700, I used a 2224 and found it a bit gutless but the ex range have more guts and should be more suitable.

Thanks for the answer, Garuf. :)

Hi all,
Johan have a look at the Boyu 3 x 8W T5 luminaires, you might need 2, or they do some higher powered ones, (the 3 x 14W would be a bit long). I've had an 8W one for about 2 years and I'd recommend them, other than the legs are prone to crazing.
cheers Darrel

Back