• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter choices, 405 vs xp3 vs ex1200

Garuf

Pretty simple really, who has what and what would you recommend?
My main issues are variety of choice, price, lph and suitability for purpose, they're intended to go on a 60x30x30 that is ailing with low flow and a broken powerhead.
I intend to use lily pipes and I've got a choice of hydor external heater.
My initial choice was the ex1200, it's cheap, high turnover and has media included. Then I read all the horror stories of it leaking, being loud and blowing itself up and such.
The Rena I've heard is loud but it has a higher turnover but also a higher price to go with it, I enjoy that they give a ball park 750lph with media rating.
Finally we come to the 405, which in all honesty I've heard nothing about. The main reason for which is that the 405 has a reputation of being a first tank choice and so reviews have no basis to compare quietness, ease of use and then of cause there's those silly ribbed tubes which would add to cost and need to be replaced, is it quiet enough and powerful enough to justify the cost increase?
Then of cause there is the outsider the eheim classics. Yes they're expencive and archaic but they're ehiem are they really worth the extra cost when the market has some substantially cheaper alternatives?

Back