• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter cleaning, how often

Blimey that is a long time, you see so many diff ways i lnow it depends on your setup but well ill see how it goes, it seems we all have a diff approach, thanks everyone
yep speaking of the thing, i just cleaned it today haha
now to wait another year 1/2 lol!

Yep everyone does it their own way and what they deem fit, honestly there is no WRONG way IMO, unless its "obviously" incorrect. Such as knowing u have a 4" mulm build up in your filter, thats the wrong way cause it will clog ur filter and do damage to a little but of everything, but in my case, i dont clean it but annually- and there is no mulm, there is just bacteria and this is due to the medium i have in the canister, etc, and how i do my tank maintenance.

All depends on something, cause and effect! all depends on the person :) and the tank!

yep speaking of the thing, i just cleaned it today haha
now to wait another year 1/2 lol!

Yep everyone does it their own way and what they deem fit, honestly there is no WRONG way IMO, unless its "obviously" incorrect. Such as knowing u have a 4" mulm build up in your filter, thats the wrong way cause it will clog ur filter and do damage to a little but of everything, but in my case, i dont clean it but annually- and there is no mulm, there is just bacteria and this is due to the medium i have in the canister, etc, and how i do my tank maintenance.

All depends on something, cause and effect! all depends on the person :) and the tank!

Yeah I get thst now..so ill carry on in my own way and see the results

Cheers

Depends on filter type / size. For example I use an internal filter correctly sized for my tank. When flow rate drops due to clogging I rinse the filter sponge in tank water. I've got it down to a fine art (every two weeks seems about right for me). Now I just need to find an internal filter manufacturer whose filter opens easily so I can clean the sponge, I have to fight with it every two weeks to open it up !!

After trying a number of internal and external filters over the years, I keep coming back to Juwel internal filters. Good capacity, well made, easy access and with a fine filter at the top of the media stack there's very little that causes the media below to clog. None of those useless suction cups to fail either! The only other filter I would consider is the Eheim Classic external filters. I had one before they were regarded as "Classic" and it was great - far better than the newer Eheim Thermo I had years later.

I only clean my filter when the flow gets too slow. And when doing so it’s just simply dunking the bio media in aged water, to remove detritus. I have a mesh at my inlet so most gets stuck there and are removed during weekly or biweekly maintenance.

Hi all,
The only other filter I would consider is the Eheim Classic external filters. I had one before they were regarded as "Classic"
I've been a <"long time user of these">, and they still offer the advantages of simplicity and robustness.

Whenever discussion of filters comes up, I find it useful to remember Clive's (@ceg4048) fundamental description of a filter as "a pump in a bucket".

cheers Darrel

Size of tank ,.numbers of fishes,food's offered to same determine how often my filter's get serviced.
Always mindful that the filters don't really remove anything, but rather trap the dirt.mulm,detritus until such time as I clean the filter media.
Monthly for me.

I'm cleaning the sponge on the intake weekly (tested it, after 2 weeks flow slows rapidly). Canister filter on it's own and HOBs on other tanks are getting cleaned when I see that flow is too weak to my liking. I have a tank with HMF too, never cleaned it yet.

Back