• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter for Betta

There are reports of issues with Tidal filters all over the net. I would avoid them personally as they clearly have a design flaw. Not only does the skimmer inlet not have a filter causing it to suck in wildlife but, apparently it pulls mostly through it and barely at all from the lower intake causing Filtration issues in the lower tank. And, there is no way to adjust the ratio aside from DYI hacks. Really, aside from the in tank pump, I think the old school Aquaclear is a better filter in most ways. YMMV of course...

There are reports of issues with Tidal filters all over the net. I would avoid them personally as they clearly have a design flaw.

You need to be careful how much stock you place on internet reports (this site excluded).

The Tidal range are good filters.

Not only does the skimmer inlet not have a filter causing it to suck in wildlife

This is no different to any other skimmer, including my preferred unit the APS Skim 2 (slots are about the same size), and the Eheim Skim 350 (aka The Death Trap) - they all need modding to prevent shrimp and small fish getting in.

apparently it pulls mostly through it and barely at all from the lower intake causing Filtration issues in the lower tank.

Complete nonsense unfortunately - if anything it’s the other way around and the skimmer section doesn’t pull enough through.

there is no way to adjust the ratio aside from DYI hacks

Again incorrect - do you see that little dial on the bottom - specifically for the purpose of adjusting the ratio between the two:

1664560881673.jpeg

My biggest complaint with the Tidal is it filters upwards vertically, which means the prefilter is on the bottom necessitating removing everything to clean it.

I prefer designs like the Oase Biostyle with horizontal filtering so the filter cartridges can be easy removed for cleaning as necessary.

I have decided to just keep a single betta in the tank and no other tiny fish/shrimp to avoid all the hassle of a hack to the filter. Will also probably go for a betta with less finnage to avoid any injuries if any because of the filter.

You need to be careful how much stock you place on internet reports (this site excluded).
Oh I am and the shear number of posts on many different fronts I found turned me off totally.
The Tidal range are good filters.
Not from what I hear, especially the 35.
This is no different to any other skimmer, including my preferred unit the APS Skim 2 (slots are about the same size), and the Eheim Skim 350 (aka The Death Trap) - they all need modding to prevent shrimp and small fish getting in.
Or, Sicce could have just designed it right and put a foam filter on it(and the intake too while they were at in). The others don't really have an excuse either. The way to drive change is to boycott bad designs imo so these companies quit pushing flawed products that easily could have been designed better.
Complete nonsense unfortunately - if anything it’s the other way around and the skimmer section doesn’t pull enough through.
Again, not from what I hear and I am tanking about the smallest model that the OP would need the 35.
Again incorrect - do you see that little dial on the bottom - specifically for the purpose of adjusting the ratio between the two:

View attachment 195070
Not on the 35, the one this thread is about, as far as I can see?
My biggest complaint with the Tidal is it filters upwards vertically, which means the prefilter is on the bottom necessitating removing everything to clean it.
Yep, not a great design but, serviceable.
I prefer designs like the Oase Biostyle with horizontal filtering so the filter cartridges can be easy removed for cleaning as necessary.
Yes, I like that one too and am considering it for my 90p build if I don't go with a combo glass lily pipe.

Personally I'll take the time tested for years and much better value Aquaclear over a Tidal but, YMMV. If it had an in tank pump it would be even better.

Last edited:
Oh I am and the shear number of posts on many different fronts I found turned me off totally.

Not from what I hear, especially the 35.
Yep, I have 4 of those! all very good and reliable - I got mine just shortly after they came out, so could be they changed the design for the worse... :)
Or, Sicce could have just designed it right and put a foam filter on it.
Never had an issues with any shrimpies getting sucked up.
Again, not from what I hear and I am tanking about the smallest model that the OP would need the 35.
Skimmer is exceptionally weak on the 35, but seems just enough to remove (light) surface film.
Not on the 35, the one this thread is about, as far as I can see.
True, the 35 do not have the adjuster on the intake - only the outlet (or the flow rate through the filter rather)

Personally I'll take the time tested for years and much better value Aquaclear over a Tidal but, YMMV. If it had an in tank pump it would be even better.
My 4's been working flawlessly for a couple of years now.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Yep, I have 4 of those! all very good and reliable - I got mine just shortly after they came out, so could be they changed the design for the worse... :)

Never had an issues with any shrimpies getting sucked up.

Skimmer is exceptionally weak on the 35, but seems just enough to remove (light) surface film.

True, the 35 do not have the adjuster on the intake - only the outlet (or the flow rate through the filter rather)

My 4's been working flawlessly for a couple of years now.

Cheers,
Michael
Good to know, especially considering you have 4 of them to test. Thanks for the info. I'm still going to avoid them personally though. I just have read of too many issues and don't like the design or value enough overall. Hopefully one day someone will combine all the best features and make the ideal hang on the back. It is hard to find the perfect one, especially for small Betta tanks...

Back