• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

filter for new setup

John Starkey

Hi all,i would like some suggestions for an external filter for my new setup i am a lover of eheim but i would welcome any feedback on other makes i would like something that has a turn over of about 650ltrs an hour your comments would be appreciated,Also any ideas for a decent price online,regards john.

Hi John,

Consider even more turnover.

I'm running a Fluval 405 in my 60cm (63 litre), rated at a max flow of 1300lph. This seems ideal and because it's through a lily pipe, the flow is nicely through the water column without excess turbulence.

Other filters that I'd consider are the Eheim 2028 Pro 2 and TetraTec EX1200.

Be aware that sometimes the Eheims aren't supplied with media.

Just do a Google Shopping search to get the best deal. I'd guess the TetraTec would be the cheapest at around £65.

Then you need some nice clear hose and lily pipes... Where better to look than our very own UKAPS sponsors! ;)

Cheers.

George Farmer said:
Hi John,

Consider even more turnover.

I'm running a Fluval 405 in my 60cm (63 litre), rated at a max flow of 1300lph. This seems ideal and because it's through a lily pipe, the flow is nicely through the water column without excess turbulence.

Other filters that I'd consider are the Eheim 2028 Pro 2 and TetraTec EX1200.

Be aware that sometimes the Eheims aren't supplied with media.

Just do a Google Shopping search to get the best deal. I'd guess the TetraTec would be the cheapest at around £65.

Then you need some nice clear hose and lily pipes... Where better to look than our very own UKAPS sponsors! ;)

Hi again George, you must be able to read my mind about our sponsers, i have plans to visit them again soon, i allready have two eheim 2028s and i am very pleased with them,luckily i got mine with the media included in the price, i also plan to use cal-aqua lily pipes in fact george this setup is going to be very similar to the one you did in a day in PFK in terms of hardware, but i have not decided on the scape yet,regards john

Cheers.

I'd be tempted to drop the bells and whistles and go for an eheim classic, there's less to go wrong. The 2217 offers a good throughput (790l/h) and you can get it for £70 incl media. (note I haven't checked if these guys are the cheapest). They're also compact and very quiet for their strength.
Saying that most of what I'm going on for other filter models is what I've read of other people's experiences on this and other forums. The classics have a very good reputation and I've never had any problems with mine in the 2 years I've had it, a real work horse.

Back