• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter help

Kayne

Hi,

Haven't been on here for a while but hoping someone can offer some help. Recently moved house so had to move tank and filter etc

Have an external Boyu EF-20 filter which has been running fine on the tank for a few years. Didn't open filter at all just picked it up and moved it and once water was in plugged it all back in.

Problem now is for some reason the filter is leaking and I don't know why as it wasn't before. It leaks from around the lid but only when the connections are on and therefore feeding it water. I checked the rubber seal around it and even swapped the seal out but still an issue. When we got this filter we actually had a second one given to us which we had never touched and is brand new so I thought i'd swap it out - first I filled it up with water and tilted the filter around - no leaks. Then emptied the old filter into it (water and media) and attached it to the tank - so far so good. Switched on and sure enough the damn thing started leaking in exactly the same way.

Any suggestions or am I going to have to buy a new filter?

Kayne

Sorry to hear about your leak:(

Is the leak coming from the filter lid or from the hose connections?
I ask as when I do my weekly filter clean on my Final FX6 I shut the flow off via the system FX6 valves but on putting them back on and opening the valves one does tend to have a small transient leak so no big deal but it is there, swapped the valve recently which resolved the issue. Plus if you disconnected the hoses and didn't give the ends a soak in boiling water to resoften the ends the leak may be coming from them. Hoses tend to have an elastic memory after being attached for long periods of time, heating them in hot water resets their elastic memory to some extent but sometimes cutting a small section off is needed or new hose

Hi Zeus,

Thanks for the reply. Leak is from the filter lid. On the Boyu the hose connections attach to the taps but that section is easily removed from the filter lid. Last night when I tried even the new filter (admittedly old tap section) the water was practically jetting out of the side of the filter in a constant stream.

Lucky I had a couple of internals to stick in the tank or I'd be completely filterless. Dont really have the cash right now for a new external either (my ultimate goal is to get an FX6 but thats a long way away due to price)

Jetting out when switched on surgesting the lid may not be corectly seated on the canister! Or media trays not aligned in the canister base IMO/IME.
I would remove the media trays refit the lid and outside with a bucket of water higher than the filter filled with water, fill the canister hose up the filter to the bucket and see if the leak is still present! Unlickly two filters should develop the same leak at the same time. If it doesn't leak check the way your assembling it, we all get it wrong at times ;)

Doesnt even have to be switched on as long as the hoses are connected and water can flow down from the tank it leaks.

More odd is the the initial time it started leaking the filter hadnt been opened at all and wasnt leaking prior

Hi
If the filter runs ok empty maybe somewhere the media is preventing it to close properly.Take some media out and try to close it properly.It may be few attempts tho.
I have a jbl 1501 that is pain to close correctly. It took me a week to stop it taking air in from somewhere, luckily no water leaks tho.Thats why never cleaned it yet.lol.But using a prefilter sponge and hoses are clean.
Regards Konsa

Back