• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter intake

Fisher2007

Wondering what people do to prevent cherry shrimp getting stuck on filter intakes?

I have glass intake pipes, one on each of my oase biomaster thermo filters, with one intake being a normal style and the other being a glass surface skimmer

I've seen these, which would work on the normal style but not the surface skimmer as it's wider - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SENZEAL-St...GKJ9ZBSDYVD&psc=1&refRID=8HW7VX1SSGKJ9ZBSDYVD

Fisher

I would a sponge filter cut to size and cut a deep X from the top and pushed the inlet into the sponge. I would remove and clean it at every water change

Some sponges had a deep hole already in them

JeboPrefiltersponge312_edited-1.jpg

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

Fisher

I would a sponge filter cut to size and cut a deep X from the top and pushed the inlet into the sponge. I would remove and clean it at every water change

Some sponges had a deep hole already in them

JeboPrefiltersponge312_edited-1.jpg

Thanks - I have seen the sponges but to be honest just think they look unsightly. I am a bit puzzled though as so many tanks I've seen have cherries in with the same intakes I have but without a guard so didn't think it would be a problem however my cherries are getting stuck to the filter intakes too frequently

The problem I had with that type is that the rubber is so tight. That even thou I put it on slowly I broke the intake Lilly pipe.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/221764448842

This style is easy to slip on and off.

Mmm, I hadn't considered how tight it would be. The ones in your link though, do they work though? What I mean is they don't appear to sit proud/away from the glass so although there is a mesh to stop the shrimp being sucked through, are they not still going to get sucked up against it?

Thanks

The shrimp love to sit on the screen and pick stuff off it. The one in the link uses a thin rubber at the top and bottom. Very easy to slide off an on. I keep my Lilly pipes clean as my wife doesn’t like to see them dirty. An as always happy wife happy life.

Fisher
Thanks - I have seen the sponges but to be honest just think they look unsightly.

I fully agree with but they are cheap extremely easily cleaned and, most important they work 110%.

They can be easily hidden by plants. The Shrimps keep the outside clean as well.

Hi guys----can I just add one more word in praise of sponge filters (especially the close grained ones ) ?
In my own experience, no matter how clean and pristine you may think your aquarium water is by sight,-- these sponges will extract fair amounts of grunge , easily seen when you squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water.
Admittedly, they do benefit from regular cleaning , which does mean getting your hands in the tank-----which none of us like to do too often.
I need to clean my sponge filters every week, ( I do have lots of decaying leaves and bogwood, and Stratum base)----and it's amazing how much they collect.
Anyway, we all make our own choices---:pompus:

So as a follow on to this thread, I bought two of these and they work a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SENZEAL-St...ocphy=1007200&hvtargid=pla-782758551108&psc=1

One slides on the 16/22mm intake perfectly and the other I managed to modify (pulled the top plastic ring out and then dremelled off the bottom) so it fits over my EA aquascaper surface skimmer inlet (the adjuster at the bottom prevents it falling off)

Overall pleased and no more shrimp stuck to the filter intakes (the shrimp in the pic is happily grazing on the stuff stuck to the guard itself)

Attachments

• 20191111_163338.jpg
    20191111_163338.jpg
    983.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 20191111_163345.jpg
    20191111_163345.jpg
    894.5 KB · Views: 137
Back