• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter just for purigen?

Hi @Epiphyte

Is that the Oase Filtosmart 60 you are holding? Is it not supplied with its own bracket? It looks interesting.

JPC

The Filtosmart 60 has a mount which is an optional £12-ish accessory. It looks fine for smaller tanks but it's not thick enough to go over the top of my rimmed tank. Not sure what it'll hang off (all the images show it on nano tanks of course) but the Juwel is 16.5mm thick. Honestly it's only a few hours of measuring, designing and pressing print on a mount myself, which also has the advantages of it being able to fit perfectly and I can integrate things like hose clamps to neaten it up.

Screenshot 2021-01-26 120439.jpg
Funny, as for me the maintenance is the bit I look forward to weekly, and the bit I miss the most about not currently not having my tank running. Seems the filter should do the job,have to keep us all posted how you get on with it.

Those 3d printers fascinate me how they work

I don't mind it if I've got a relaxed day where I can take my time, but more often than not I'll be rushing it a little and ~175L of water does take time to change!

3D printers are great. Think of an idea, design it and before you know it you've got it in your hands!

Hi @Epiphyte

That sure is one of the smallest HOB filters I've ever seen.

3D printers are great. Think of an idea, design it and before you know it you've got it in your hands!

Yes, I can well imagine that if I got my hands on a 3D printer, then I'd get nothing else done for a few weeks/months!

JPC

Hi @Epiphyte

That sure is one of the smallest HOB filters I've ever seen.

Yes, I can well imagine that if I got my hands on a 3D printer, then I'd get nothing else done for a few weeks/months!

JPC
Yes it's excellent, it sits about 100mm proud of the back of the tank yet still pumps out 300L/hr. It's a little noisy so I'll have to see what's going on inside as it doesn't sound right at all.

3D printing is a rabbit hole of a hobby, great fun though and in moments like this hugely useful. Look into an "Ender 3" if you want a good solid starter machine that won't break the bank.

The good news is this morning I found, after only 12hrs of on time, my water is clearer than ever before. I've used purigen in my filters for a while now but it's never looked this good. Looks like entirely unimpeded water flow around the media makes a huge difference to it's effectiveness.

I'm going to double up my purigen volume tomorrow when some more arrives, still tempted to play with the idea of having it free flowing in the filter rather than bagged, but isn't experimenting half the fun of this hobby?

Back