• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter just for purigen?

Epiphyte

I saw Green Aqua using a second cannister filter just to hold purigen in their 650L Angel tank, which I had never thought of but may solve my permanently tannin stained water. Has anyone here done this or tried it?

I'm looking at perhaps the Oase Filtosmart 60 which would hold, give or take, 500ml of purigen and provide me with another 300L/hr of flow.

I currently have purigen just stuffed into my current filter, but I'd like to add more as the tannin staining is quite bad.

Any disadvantages to this, or is it just a waste of money?

If you could use some extra flow then go for it, otherwise is just another plug, more electricity and more equipment in the tank.

Purigen is great stuff for removing tannins and you don't need loads, how big is your tank?

If you could use some extra flow then go for it, otherwise is just another plug, more electricity and more equipment in the tank.

Purigen is great stuff for removing tannins and you don't need loads, how big is your tank?

Good point, that's probably some vital information. It's 350 litres, currently I've got flow around 2500L/hr with the current filter setup.

I've got 250ml of purigen in one of my filters right now but it needs regularly refreshed as there are some huge bits of wood in the tank. I'd like more in there certainly, but have no space to add it without removing sponges.

Hmm this is a really interesting idea, thanks @Garuf @Nick potts

One less plug and just having it inline means, as you say, no filter bags.

I'll nip down my local shop tomorrow see what they have with regards to reactors. Venturing into that marine part of the store that my wallet makes me normally avoid!

You could easily make one yourself too with a small power head. The lower the flow the better, you just need enough for it to tumble you don’t need a vortex. The more contact time the more efficient and effective it will be.

The downside of using one of those reactors inline is that it will def reduce the flow of your existing filter. As mentioned, used a lot in the marine side, I have used them for various things over the years, they work best when used in a sump with a powerhead/[pump with no head height.

Hmm, I'm really trying not to reduce my flow as it's already a little lower than I'd like.

Looking at them online it seems that they're more pricey than the Oase Filtosmart 60 too, though potentially more efficient with the water flowing freely amongst the media. Though with a filter dedicated to polishing the water alone, is it really a worry not to be quite as efficient?

I saw a YouTube video the other day and Purigen wasn’t specifically mentioned as such, but the guy intimated that certain unnamed chemical “products” can sometimes interfere with anaerobic bacteria. This reaction presented itself as increased nitrates. Anyone heard this?

personal choice, but I would have a second filter, and enjoy the extra flow. Im going to use 2 external filters on my setup just for that reason. extra space for whatever filtration media you want can never be a bad thing.

I have a little input on 'Purigen' which I got from @ceg4048
I like Purigen - except for the price, of course.

I really dislike the term "polishing of water" because it's a meaningless phrase invented by someone who didn't really understand what these types of resins actually do. They use it, the water gets clearer but no one know why, so they invent a phrase based on some kind of metaphor, like polishing furniture.

In fact Purigen, like activated carbon has an electrostatic affinity for organic Nitrogen compounds. Have a study of the thread Can Purigen Strip down useful nutritients? for more information.
Some of the links may have died, the thread is about 4 years old.

There are also some similarly old threads floating around discussing regenerating the Purigen to save money.

At the end of the day though frequent large water changes does what all these resins do, so I stopped spending money on these.

Cheers,
Clive

Thought it might help ;)

Very true, and if I had a small tank and an easy setup for water changes then this wouldn't be an issue. But changing 175L of water more than once a week in a flat really isn't my idea of fun.
Look at something like the python, would be a lot less hassle

Look at something like the python, would be a lot less hassle
I have a Python and to get it to work at an acceptable speed I've got to have my tap running pretty fast, which uses a lot of water! So now I just use a gravel vac to start a syphon and drain it into the toilet and a hose pipe on my kitchen tap directly into the aquarium. It works fine but more than once a week is a chore (I'm one of those folks who do maintenance, not enjoy it!)

In other news, I bought a Filtosmart 60 and 500ml of purigen. I looked into reactors but they cost around double the price of the filtosmart. I'll just run the purigen in the biggest bag possible to keep movement up.

I did consider cutting the bag up and placing it over the inlet/outlet of the filter and running the purigen loose within the cannister, simulating a reactor, but I feel regenerating the purigen will be a challenge.

I've got 250ml of purigen in one of my filters right now but it needs regularly refreshed as there are some huge bits of wood in the tank.
Hi @Epiphyte

I like to tackle the problem at source. Is it not possible to reduce the amount/type of wood in your tank? Or, replace with a few more suitable rocks, perhaps?

JPC

Hi @Epiphyte

I like to tackle the problem at source. Is it not possible to reduce the amount/type of wood in your tank? Or, replace with a few more suitable rocks, perhaps?

JPC
Potentially, yes, but equally it's a well established tank with excellent plant growth so I'm reluctant to re-scape it. I've been considering the whole tank being changed at some point to a rimless one, which will have a different scape, but that's a project for down the line.

For now, I'll give this a go, see how it works out.

Just fitted with a 3d printed bracket to keep it neat.

20210126_112204.jpg
20210126_112255.jpg
20210126_112307.jpg

I have a Python and to get it to work at an acceptable speed I've got to have my tap running pretty fast, which uses a lot of water! So now I just use a gravel vac to start a syphon and drain it into the toilet and a hose pipe on my kitchen tap directly into the aquarium. It works fine but more than once a week is a chore (I'm one of those folks who do maintenance, not enjoy it!)

In other news, I bought a Filtosmart 60 and 500ml of purigen. I looked into reactors but they cost around double the price of the filtosmart. I'll just run the purigen in the biggest bag possible to keep movement up.

I did consider cutting the bag up and placing it over the inlet/outlet of the filter and running the purigen loose within the cannister, simulating a reactor, but I feel regenerating the purigen will be a challenge.
Funny, as for me the maintenance is the bit I look forward to weekly, and the bit I miss the most about not currently not having my tank running. Seems the filter should do the job,have to keep us all posted how you get on with it.

Those 3d printers fascinate me how they work

Back