• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter leak on clips

PARAGUAY

My APS 2000ex is leaking on clips. Tryed new O ring and realigning baskets Have read about hack of putting ptfe tape in the O ring channel then putting O ring back in Apparantely it makes a strong seal?

I use 2 of the smaller filters for 9 years now and rarely have leaks, so here's what I do... (1) use pre filters so I only open the main filter about 3 times a year (2) order plenty of spare O rings from China/eBay as they are cheap but take a good while to arrive (3) I use ptfe tape by running it once around the filter head and then put the O ring over it (4) l use WD40 silicone lubricant (Screwfix sells it) and rub it over the O ring with my finger. Not sure if this stuff is aquarium safe but I use so little of it, I don't believe or notice it getting into the aquarium water. (5) when reassembling the filter, I near fill the canister with tank water before putting the head back on slowly and carefully. I generally do not have to prime the filter this way (6) when it is all up and running again, I watch it very carefully for leaks over the next few hours.
As I have said so far this has worked for me- but may get home from work tonight to find my lounge flooded

I have a couple of these 2000l/h.Price is good and they do a decent job Think the first about 10years ago. Not really had much trouble one or two leaks but usually when the baskets not properly alligned. I always keep in a washing up bowl just in case. Its had a new O ring and silicon grease on. I will try the ptfe tape as you suggest Thanks for the help and welcome to UKAPS see your a new member🙂

Back