• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Media Help for Over head Filter - Planted Tank

Bonesaqua

Hi,

I have a 55L tank and it comes with an overhead filter. I bought this used so the filter was not in good shape. I cleaned up the filter and currently it has no media. I am looking forward to creating a low Tech planted Aquarium.

Initially I was not looking at using the Overhead filter, but change in mind and I hope no harm with an additional filtration. I will be using it along with the external canister filter. I am looking at the SUNSUN 302 as my external filter. Initially was looking bigger(like 304 B :) newbie troubles) but then downgraded to 302 for my 55L( 58.5 L x 30.5 W x 38.5 H) tank. I cleaned the overhead filter today and need some help in what do I keep as filter media in the filter. How to Layer it.

It has a total length of 34CM with 4 separation. Width of 9CM and depth of 6CM. Attached images.

Thanks,
B

Attachments

• Overhead Out.jpg
    Overhead Out.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 138
  • OverHead-Fixed.jpg
    OverHead-Fixed.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 127
Hi all,
Any Suggestions?
Any media you like.

Usually you would have sponge in the first section as a mechanical filter, I wouldn't go finer than PPI20 grade sponge, as you don't want the water to spill over the sides. After that you can have any media, more sponge, sintered glass, alfagrog, hydroleca, floating cell media etc. it really doesn't matter.

Biological filtration isn't oxygen limited in these shallow open containers, so they work very well.

cheers Darrel

Have you thought about planting into it? Darrel's suggestion of hydroleca would do you proud if you wanted to, planted up with some hard-as-nails houseplants like Spathiphyllum, Anthurium, Epipremnum. etc. would look ace and help with the filtration.

Thanks Guys, That seems a great idea. never though of something like this. I can try this. Let me read more about it :)

But I am having a planted tank with little livestock. Will it be the same?

Hi all,
Darrel's suggestion of hydroleca would do you proud if you wanted to, planted up with some hard-as-nails houseplants like Spathiphyllum, Anthurium, Epipremnum. etc. would look ace and help with the filtration.
I tried plants with a similar tank and filter, but had problems with the water wicking out of the filter, and the roots impeding the flow, causing flooding, so it wasn't very successful.

I think this was due to the shallow depth of the filter sections.
But I am having a planted tank with little livestock. Will it be the same?
Yes, in that case the overhead filter should offer enough filtration, meaning that you could just add a power-head for flow if you needed more.

I add a foam block to the filter inlet, they aren't very attractive, but they add mechanical filtration and act as a grazing surface for shrimps and fry etc. Because your overhead filter has access to atmospheric oxygen keeping bulky debris out of the filter isn't as important as it would be if you were using a canister filter.

cheers Darrel

Back