Filter Media... Nitrate Remover and Carbon Foams

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by bugs, 7 May 2018.

1. bugs

bugs Member

Probably a stupid question but just checking current thinking...

TNC Liquid Carbon and combined ferts dosed tank... No gas CO2.

I propose to REMOVE and replace both the carbon and nitrate remover sponges from my new filter and replace with basic sponges. This is what I've done in the past, sticking purely to biological filtration. Any arguments for retaining either of these?

Cheers

2. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

There is no need or advantage to remove any of these. Best case scenario is that they work by pulling organic materials that contain Carbon and Nitrogen from the water column. Worst case scenario is that they simply trap dirt like any other pad or floss.

Nitrate and Phosphate removers do not work by removing inorganically dosed NO3/PO4. They remove organic waste. All organic waste is composed of some combination basic building blocks consisting of C, NO3 and PO4. If left untreated, organic waste fouls the tank and causes a reduction of Oxygen in the water. Remove/replace the sponges when they get fouled and simply carry on.

Cheers,

3. bugs

bugs Member

I wish I was better at understanding these things. Thank you for saving me the wasted expense of buying alternatives!