• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter media order - is the typical order wrong?

fourmations

hi

setting p a new filter and its been a long time,
watched a youtbe vid and the guy was saying the usual order is wrong

basicially he said that you should have a coarse foam and a fine foam layer in the bottom tray
and then all bio media from there, the logic being that you want the water as clean as possible
before it hits the bio media, he didnt use any filter floss either

any thoughts?

thanks

I've always saw them like that, coarse for pre filtering then biomedia, and filter floss should be the last step. At least in a classic 150, 250, ecco pro an jbl e901.

sorry i should clarify, he does use a floss type but the three foam layers are all in one basket at the bottom
then the bio is above that, no "polishing layer" over that, he says a layer of floss on top just traps the detritus
and makes it get caught around the bio, you want the bio to stay as clean as possible

this is based on the usual type external where the water is sent to the bottom first

thanks

Hi all,
he does use a floss type but the three foam layers are all in one basket at the bottom then the bio is above that, no "polishing layer" over that, he says a layer of floss on top just traps the detritus
and makes it get caught around the bio, you want the bio to stay as clean as possible
You definitely want the biomedia to remain clean and to not to have any organic debris reaching it.

You only want dissolved solutes (and gases) entering biological filtration.

I don't like any fine media (floss or fine sponge) in the filter body. I like all the mechanical filtration done by a <"large pre-filter on the intake">.

If I have a PPI10 sponge in the filter it is usually as the bottom layer (first contact point for the water).

cheers Darrel

I also have the floss before the biological media & after the course foam to prevent clogging up the bio media.
I don't think I need to clean my filters more often & so far I definitely have not had to clean my media.

With the two eheim 2217's I use for filtering 80 US gal., I have eheim substrat Pro, or ceramic noodles about two inches deep in very bottom of canister where water enters from the aquarium.
This catches the big stuff before the water is forced through three or four coartse pads and final finer pad made from polyester.
I clean both filter's monthly.
Occasionally I will back flush the media in the bottom by pouring water drained from the canister during cleaning ,back into top of the canister after removing the pads which woks for me.

A layer of mechanical medium after the biological will stop any gunge generated in the biomedia (mosly dead bacteria) reaching the tank. But it's not essential by any means.

Back