• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter media Question

jonshep

Seedling
Hi I am new to the forum

I have a Jewel Rio 240 (internal filter removed)
Rena XP3 external filter
ph -7 - 7.5 nitrites -0 nitrates - 30
water change and filter clean every 1-2 weeks

My question is - Currently in my filter I have the bottom basket with 4 sponges 2 coarse and 2 fine. Middle Basket with a full layer of ceramic rings and a full layer of bio-chem stars. Top basket remainder of my bio-chem stars and above them a layer of wool pad. - can anyone tell me what other benificial filter media I could use in the top basket to improve filtration and water quality, maybe carbon or something to remove nitrates and phosphates.

Thanks

Hi

Yes I have various plants and will be introducing more over time.

ok thats cool

I saw a product called JBL MicroMec has anyone used this is it worth having as a last layer of filtration for really clear water

Ive been told to get that as well for my JBL. In my other tank I have a Rena XP3 but its for my dads goldfish tank.
Its a 180l Rio and houses 4-5 small juvenile kois.

For my set up I have in the bottom tray 1 thick and 1 finer sponge, middle with eheim substrate type media and covered with a small sponge, top I have course pad and wool pad on top.

This allows the water to be very clear. But i suppose it can differ for each person.

I guess monitor the water and fish behaviour.

jonshep said:
I saw a product called JBL MicroMec has anyone used this is it worth having as a last layer of filtration for really clear water
It's great for polishing the water for the short-term, but clogs very quickly so isn't best for constant longer-term use.

Personally I'm not fussed about the media in my externals. I usually use whatever is supplied with the fitler and clean it monthly. Occasionally I will use carbon to polish the water for photography purposes.

"It's great for polishing the water for the short-term, but clogs very quickly so isn't best for constant longer-term use."

Do you think if I put it above the wool and cleaned it weekly it would last

Back