Filter media Question

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by jonshep, 23 Feb 2010.

1. jonshep

jonshep Newly Registered

Hi I am new to the forum

I have a Jewel Rio 240 (internal filter removed)
    Rena XP3 external filter
    ph -7 - 7.5 nitrites -0 nitrates - 30
    water change and filter clean every 1-2 weeks

My question is - Currently in my filter I have the bottom basket with 4 sponges 2 coarse and 2 fine. Middle Basket with a full layer of ceramic rings and a full layer of bio-chem stars. Top basket remainder of my bio-chem stars and above them a layer of wool pad. - can anyone tell me what other benificial filter media I could use in the top basket to improve filtration and water quality, maybe carbon or something to remove nitrates and phosphates.

Thanks

2. Shadow

Shadow Member

Is this for planted tank? because plant like nitrate and phospate

3. jonshep

jonshep Newly Registered

Hi

Yes I have various plants and will be introducing more over time.

4. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Generally we dont remove N or P, even if you dont have plants int eh tank, they shouldn't cause you any problems.

Sam

5. jonshep

jonshep Newly Registered

ok thats cool

I saw a product called JBL MicroMec has anyone used this is it worth having as a last layer of filtration for really clear water

6. mlgt

mlgt Member

Ive been told to get that as well for my JBL. In my other tank I have a Rena XP3 but its for my dads goldfish tank.
    Its a 180l Rio and houses 4-5 small juvenile kois.

For my set up I have in the bottom tray 1 thick and 1 finer sponge, middle with eheim substrate type media and covered with a small sponge, top I have course pad and wool pad on top.

This allows the water to be very clear. But i suppose it can differ for each person.

I guess monitor the water and fish behaviour.

7. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

It's great for polishing the water for the short-term, but clogs very quickly so isn't best for constant longer-term use.

Personally I'm not fussed about the media in my externals. I usually use whatever is supplied with the fitler and clean it monthly. Occasionally I will use carbon to polish the water for photography purposes.

8. jonshep

jonshep Newly Registered

"It's great for polishing the water for the short-term, but clogs very quickly so isn't best for constant longer-term use."

Do you think if I put it above the wool and cleaned it weekly it would last