• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Media seeding

dino21

Hi,

Just added a new exterrnal canister filter with the usual media to our existing 3 year old planted tank with a view to it taking over from the old canister.

Did not want to disturb the existing cansister or transfer any media to the new one in case any problems developed with the new one, eg leaks.

Just wanted to know how long we should run them together for the new canisters media to be fully colonized and able to cope with our low fish bioload ?

It’s not instant, I’d leave them both running for a month if not switching over media. Takes a while to see a filter, for me at least.

As long as that ? thought a month was more like a new tank .
Was thinkng more like a week , if not will have to move the old media over .

I'd transfer it all over if its not leaking. If you're still concerned, take up to third of the old media and transfer it. At the very least, squeeze your sponge next to the new outlet.

Transfered the media over this morming, but Big Dummy here managed to crack the container body around the handle locking area of the old Eheim !! :arghh::banghead::banghead:

Thankfully there seems to be plenty of them around so able to get one quickly , but cost £29 with postage, live and learn !
Assume it must be a common item to damage with so many places stocking them.

Back