• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter media

Mich@el

Seedling
Hi all,

I am looking for a little advice, I have two tanks running one since Christmas and one i have just setup. I would like to transfer all the fish from the older tank so was thinking of putting some of the filter media into the new filter to speed up the cycle.. how do you go about this? Do I add the seeded media and add a little ammonia and wait for the ammonia level to go to zero as I would when cycling a tank from FRESH?

Thanks

Hi all,
Do I add the seeded media and add a little ammonia and wait for the ammonia level to go to zero as I would when cycling a tank from FRESH?
Just add the seeded media. You don't actually ever need to <"add ammonia to a planted tank">.

The <"whole traditional concept of cycling"> is based on the premise that the bacteria that are responsible for nitrification in sewage treatment are the bacteria found in aquarium filters, but we now know they aren't.

cheers Darrel

Hi
If you are not going to have any fish in the older setup then transfer all the media into the new ones filter
Or if you are going to get new fish stock for the older one straight away then swap 50 % of the media to the new setup
If it’s going to be some time swap it all then take some back when you get the fish home

Just put it in the new filter it’s that easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both for your comments. No fish will be kept in the old tank so will transfer all media over to the new one.

Back