• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter needed.... but what?!

Aeropars

I have a45 litre nano which i'm now about to set up but I cant decide on a filter for it.

Cost is paramount and it really needs to be as cheap as possible. I was going to go for a HOB filter but i dont think this would be that good for this tank.

Can anyone suggest something? Second hand is a possibility.

Lee

An EX600 would be pretty good on that setup :) Might be able to find one second hand for around £30 if you're lucky.

Alternatively something like a Fluval 204/205. They tend to sell pretty cheap. They're rated at 700lph I think. The ribbed hoses can be changed for silicone if you get replacement inlets/outlets.

If you want something new, maybe an Eheim 2213 classic. You can get one with media new for approx £35 - £45 if you shop around (zooplus for instance).

I guess if you want to aim for 10x flow, it's going to need to be anything 500lph or higher. It also might depend on what sort of fish you intend to keep, as for instance some gouramis, bettas etc prefer not much water movement (though, not ideal for a planted tank).

Same sentiments as steve really, the new hydor primes are promising for the price, if not keep an eye out for those second hand eheim classics.

SteveUK said:
The great thing is you can always swap over inlets/outlets :) It's a great excuse to get glass lilly pipes ;)

First whats the issues with the EX inlets??? there better than Green Ehiem and if you don't use black background then dark grey Rena. there clear and if you remove the spraybar nearly invisible.

But as said there always replaceable with ANY other filters if the size pipe is the same.

Either way the 700 is so quiet i never hear it my 1200 is quite but does need to be in a cabinet.

Mine feel secure and need a solid tug to remove!!! LOL i understand on a open tank. i only see the tail end of it in the tanks and this is fine.

I've not had any problems with them falling appart. The only issue I've had is if you are a bit over zealous with them. They have a tendancey to split along the seems if you twist them when attaching hose/other pieces. It's something that Tetra will usually replace though. I have one set I need to contact them about.

I've found the Eheim installation kits are great quality, but they are pretty big and chunky. Not idea for an open top tank I guess :lol:

Back