• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter options, head is spinning a bit....

durtydurty

My tank is coming together and after a few years hiatus I am slowly getting it all sorted again

Last time round I bought a four footer stuck a Tetratec EX1200 under it and it worked a treat, plants bloomed, fish were happy etc. This time round I intend to do it on a slightly smaller scale. Have a Juwel vision 180 and am considering my filter options. Having read an awful lot tonight about turn over etc and the ten times rule my head is spinning, was looking at a fx5 but my budget is fairly tight and cabinet even smaller! was pleased with my Tetratec EX1200 so was considering the EX700 but looking at turnover/lph it wont get anywhere close to the 10 times turn over rule.

How important is the ten times rule and would something like a tetratec EX700 be suitable for my 180 litre tank..

Specs are linked here

http://www.tetra.de/tetra/go/7B598D38A1 ... lang_id=20

Sorry for the essay, any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Turnover can be gained by adding a wavemaker/powerhead into the tank. The filter is essentially to grow bacteria so the TT700 would work fine.

If i remeber correctly from my old vision 180, the cabinet space is very limited so unless you want the filter within the centre section of the cabinet.. you will be pushed for choice regarding larger more powerful lph filters.

Sorry for the double post, I was always happy with my EX1200, never had any problems etc but my only downside is that it wont fit in my cabinet!! :(

Its within budget so may well plump for that.

Thanks Tom, chatted to the very helpful peeps at my local MA and am considering the Aquamanta EFX 300 aswell which I think is equivalent size etc so am gonna have a look at that the weekend. Not fitting in the cabinet isn't the end of the world but it would be nice.

Back