• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter options

AQUARICULTURE

Seedling
Hi,

I'm looking into buying a new filter and wanted to hear from anyone with an eheim that has the dual intakes. I like the sound of the Eheim Professional 3 thermofilter 2180. However i would only want to use one of the intakes. Is it possible to shut the other intake off and not use it?

Thanks
Tony

You probably could but the fact that there is two intakes is more of a boon than it is anything else because it ensures that you will be getting much better flow throughout the tank and means nutrients will be much more evenly distributed.

Like Garuf says, why limit your throughput? The filter wasn't designed to use only one of the intakes and there is no official way to deactivate it. The two intakes are ganged together at the pump head inlet so you would have to plug the inlet shaft.

Cheers,

I've got a drilled tank. The plan is to build an enclosed loop which I like to keep all the equipment below the tank. I'm thinking of the thermo filters so I don't have to put a heater inline. As i've only got two holes drilled into the tank - one for the in put and out put then this filter won't work.

The other I like is the Fluval FX5 but I want to put the CO2 reactor inline and this wouldn't fit the tube size. Also worried about their noise!

If I where you I'd consider having a secondary input drilled it's well worth the extra effort.
Have you seen the hydor inline eth 200/300 heaters are these the ones your adverse to?
What is the size of your tank, a sump might be an option if its very large since you'll want LOTS of flow, for example my 15gallon tank has a eheim 2224 on it and I'm currently bidding on a eheim pro3 myself to replace it because there's simply not enough flow for my liking.

I think the Hydors are grear but I liked the idea of having the heater built into the filter. Neater option.
Also the Hydors will not fit onto the FX5 without reducing the flow.

My tank is 75 gallons and while I would love a sump to play with I've definately decided to go with the closed loop system. The filter has to be powerful enough for a high turnover, co2 reactor and the heater.

But if you disable 50% of the inflow on the Eheim you will effectively cut your turnover by 50% which is a much stiffer penalty than what you would be paying by adding an extenal heater to the FX5. Additionally, the FX5 has a higher pump rating than the Eheim to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I use two of the 2180's on a 600L but cutting your flow by that much almost defeats the purpose. As Garuf states, it may be worth the trouble to have a second hole drilled if possible.

Cheers,

Back