• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter options

mlgt

I have a dilemna.

I have 2 x 180l Juwel Rios. 1 is in my flat, and the other is in my family home.

The 180l that I have in my flat contains the Juwel Internal filter and an external Eheim 2217. The other 180l does not have an internal filter and houses a Rena xp3 (for goldfish)

I know that I dont have enough flow in my tank so I wanted to upgrade what I currently have.

Would a Korolia make much difference if I wanted a cheap alternative to up the circulation in my tank or would it be worth the while to start looking for a bigger and better external filter?

I know I could always swop tanks over so that I have the (goldfish tank) 180l without the internal filter and work from that.

What are your thoughts? If I have to buy, my budget is around £100 or so...

Hi, the question is do you need more filtration or do you need more water movement?

If more movement, then a Koralia will sort you out, if filtration why not buy another eheim?

Something like the Eheim Ecco Pro 130 would be enough.

Use a quality spray bar such as the EHEIM INSTALLATION SETS 2.

You could then also use a CO2 Diffuser bar to ensure that all water out of the filter has CO2.

I bought a copy of those bars and I though they were useless so forget that straight out. especailly on a big tank.

Filtration is relative you probably already have enough turnover is going to be the issue. If your pump meets the 10x turnover rule you should be fine if not add more filters or pumps till you do. I personally go for more than 10 but that's personal preference.

Reactors inline are better and inline misters are better still. Mist is better because it adheres to the plant leaves and increases pearling.

I aim to get co2 next month. However in the meantime - very noob question here.

Will an airpump make a difference to the water condition?

mlgt said:
I aim to get co2 next month. However in the meantime - very noob question here.

Will an airpump make a difference to the water condition?

Depends what you mean by "difference to the water condition" the only benefit from a air pump is that it will increase the quantity of o2 within the water column because as the bubbles rise and break the water surface it will induce extra surface movement will will increase o2 levels by releasing any residual gases within the water column eg Co2.

Regards
Paul

I think Im in need of a better filter than the Eheim 2217 + internal filter.

Ive always used Eheim and internal filters, but I would like to use a filter that has automatic prime or at least can just plug and play so that my wife can find it easy to clean filter pads :)

Currently trying to source something on ebay and forums :)

The jbl and tetratec filters are both amazing if you're in that way. Plantedbox have the new supafish filters which are excellent too.

Actually I am also looking for new filter, I still have the eheim classic 2013, it works ok, but I am looking for something with more filtration capacity.

I always used eheim, didn't looked at the other filter makes before, prejudice most probably.

Will check JBL and Tetratec on ebay and online shops, would like to get a bargain. Just need a filter than is 16/22.

Armed with £100-£150. What recommendations? I not a big fan of the filters with intergrated heaters.
However I am not lucky with bidding as I lost out on a used Fluval fx5 on ebay just now which was going for £85

I've got an fx5 knocking about, pm if you're interested and I'll give you details.

I settled for a JBL e1500 in the end as a friend had a 10% discount for it and ended up paying just £80 for it.

It arrived today and boy its big! I havent got it out of the box yet, but its got plenty of filter pads and accessories just looking at the diagram :)

Will be setting this up and putting in my t5 starer units and co2 in next week with some help from Paulo :)

Back