• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filtration on new project

Toby C

Hi all,

I’m moving house soon, and am looking forward to owning a tank again. I’m in the process of planning and wanted some opinions / thoughts. The dimension will be 90x45x45cm, heavily planted and some stone hardscape ( diorama esque)

I’m torn between lily pipes vs spray bars as aesthetics against flow is a predicament. Are there any glass / acrylic bars purchasable, or is DIY the only way?

If going for spray bars would I be best with two 40cm bars powered by two filters or one longer bar with one filter.

I’m considering a CO2 reactor - would I be better with one more powerful filter (fx4-6) or two small filters ( the idea of two being I can control flow more and not lose all my output through the reactor)

One final question on lighting - I’m deciding between twinstar 900s and onf flat one (both pendant fixtures). There would be stems, epiphytes and a mixed carpet. Is either preferable?

Thanks in advance.

Everything above is all preference mate. I can type away all day as to why I’d go lily pipes with one filter and in-line co2 diffuser, over everything else.
But someone will tell you why they’d do the opposite.
Same for the light, I could tell you why I’d choose the twinstar but someone would go with the ONF.

What I’m getting at is there’s no right answer. Only what suits your system, your maintenance dedication, your budget, your personal likes and dislikes etc……..

Thanks, I appreciate a large part of this is preference.

I did wanted some opinions and personal experiences to see if there’s a viewpoint I hadn’t considered (Like is a fluval fx6 sufficient to run a reactor and a 70 cm spray bar)

In terms of aesthetics would something like Nero 3 or 5 or a Vortech MP 10 / MP 40 be out of the question. Both are low profile but with adjustable flow so you could use lily pipes on the filter.

In terms of aesthetics would something like Nero 3 or 5 or a Vortech MP 10 / MP 40 be out of the question. Both are low profile but with adjustable flow so you could use lily pipes on the filter.
I’d rather not have additional equipment visible.

I’m torn whether spray bars are too visible - I don’t know if anyone has had success in minimising their visual footprint? ( I quite wanted a light screen, so black bars and a black rear wall is less appealing)

It would be useful to know what filtration / flow set ups people have with 90cm tanks and whether they’re happy with them. I worry a set of lily pipes and one more powerful filter will be insufficient.

I worry a set of lily pipes and one more powerful filter will be insufficient

Hello, just consider the "opened" surface of a spray bar (little holes) compared to a lily pipe (wide opened with a nozzle shape) . You can easily imagine that the restriction of the flow is higher with a spraybar. But the aim is different. Spraybar is ... spraying, this means a high speed flow with poor diffusion but high local turbulence. Lily pipe is... lilypiping.. ie the flow is widely spread, very laminar, and the diffusion of CO2 if you have and internal diffuser, and or nutrients in the tank will be more homogeneous than with a spray bar. Spray bar is OK when you want to increase the surface movements, but is it clearly not the best for "bulk" movement of the water in a tank.

I have a spray bar which works well to disperse flow. You can add holes. This works fine, with an even current, from a single filter – 106L tank with a Fluval 304. I have braces, like a euro ledge, which I can direct the spray bar up at if I want to, which minimises flow, useful if the sparkling gourami have a bubble nest. The spray bar is black and not that visible, behind plants. I can point the 2 parts in different directions. My one worry is whether my spray bar is directing too much flow away from the out-pipe of the filter.

I have a 90cm tank with glass lily pipes and the filter is more than capable (Oase biomaster 600)

Just ensure you don’t have too much headheight, I drilled two holes in the side of my cabinet to allow the the pipes to go straight up the side allowing for less travel in the hose.

You’d probably be ok with a Co2 reactor too, but equally could just an inline diffuser.

Just to add you can also buy the neo filter pipes if you wanted, they’re plastic and have a smaller opening with so the water coming out is more concentrated. You can also add a surface skimmer attachment to the return pipe which is a nice feature.

just to share that it is only the main 'pipe' that is made of PETG. The L-connector for the output Lily pipe as well the the inlet connector for the inflow pipe are made of regular plastic. I've managed to crack the L-connector when I was twisting it but fortunately, it was a small crack only and it still works... I just have to be careful not to make the crack worse.... o_O

Back