• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fin rot on Lemon Tetra

@alto loving the bottle trick, great idea. Feeling a bit more optimistic now! I'll try with the net first though, i have quite a big one i used to catch the Acara so I'll give that a try first.
I have quite a few shrimp in the tank and I'm not willing to put them at risk.

Again, Thank you so much 👍

Would you dose salt with that approach? I’m one of those “always tries salt before reaching for other meds” people.

Salt has limited use, especially in a planted tank (while more tolerant plants will survive, many more delicate leaf plants won’t) and few people dose effective levels of salt
Of course if fish survive (whatever ailment salt was dosed for), then most will assume a cause and effect ie “salt cure”
There are some fish which respond very well to salt treatments - in part as they are well able to tolerate the increased salt or have conditions which respond well to the salt treatment
(eg, angelfish, discus, guppies depending on ailment, but if keeping fish from natural soft, acidic waters, likely replicating these conditions would be more beneficial (especially if pH < 5.5) )

While salt can help with Nitrite toxicity and some external parasites, it’s not going to have much impact on internal (bacterial) infections
Once lemon tetras are isolated, I might use a combination of Epsom salts and sodium chloride salt IF I couldn’t source more effective treatments, if fish are eating and medicated foods are an option, I might also add these salts to see if fish respond to the osmotic support

Of course if fish survive (whatever ailment salt was dosed for), then most will assume a cause and effect ie “salt cure”

Yes, although to be fair that applies to all meds as most of us don't establish a control group when we treat our fish!

There are some fish which respond very well to salt treatments - in part as they are well able to tolerate the increased salt or have conditions which respond well to the salt treatment
(eg, angelfish, discus, guppies depending on ailment, but if keeping fish from natural soft, acidic waters, likely replicating these conditions would be more beneficial (especially if pH < 5.5) )

That may explain my bias - you just listed most of the fish I ever kept (as a kid my tank was a sort of generation ship full of livebearers)! It does annoy me however when the LFS tries to sell you something nasty for ich when in my experience salt and increased temperature is enough to sort it...

Thanks for the link to the video and for another excellent post!

Back